Search the forum,

Discuss boiler clicks off when using hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mickey's mum

Worcester bosch highflow 400 -10 years old
If we run the hot water for more than a sinkful the boiler overheats and clicks off. The only way we can get a shower or bath is to turn the central heating on( at 0 on the display) and then turn it off half an hour or so afterwards.The plumber replaced the thermostats, put in a new pump and power-flushed the system- made no difference.The towel rails in the bathrooms used to heat up (
presumably taking the excess heat away but they don't do that now either).
If you forget to turn the heating on the shower pressure and temperature drops then heats up then goes cold because the boiler has clicked off. The temperature through the taps is very hot and you can hardly touch the taps when the heating isn't on.
The plumber hasn't been able to suggest anything other than put the heating on. Any thoughts would be gratefully received as it's a nuisance !Thanks.

Well mickey's mum it sounds like you've shelled out a boat load of dosh and are no further forward!! Could be the plate heatex, does the central heating work okay, not o/heating or cutting out?:bucktooth:

Yes the central heating works fine. Forgot to say that when I turn the heating off after a bath or shower you can hear a whooshing sound of water in the boiler for a few minutes afterwards. Is that normal ? How big a job is it to check the plate heatex ? Shelled out hundreds of pounds already and scared to pay out more if that doesn't work either. Thanks for your thoughts.

Well Micky's mum it isn't a job of checking the plate heatex as it's not a part that'll take a cupl of minutes to do.... I'd personally liked to have known how dirty the system was when flushed and what else is happening with the boiler. Without a doubt you need someone there to experience what is happening with your boiler. The noise could be the boiler over heating as it re-heats the hot water tank .. That's just me guessing. My best advice to you to limit costs further is one of the big boys service cover contracts B-Gas and the like.
The floor-standing Worcester are a rare bread, my neck of the woods... There maybe someone on here who is more familiar with your particular boiler and could better advise..
Good luck!

Apparently it wasn't very dirty at all.I have joined a gas care service but they don't include existing problems so I will have to get someone else in.A local plumber thought it might be a blocked secondary heat exchanger but he didn't want to take the job on given all the problems we'd already had with it. Any thoughts on that ?

Try a different gas care service provider .... ! Some do cover repairs at an additional charge! Otherwise I'd consider Worcester Bosch themselves! No idea what they charge though?

you say the heating is fine, but the hot water is buggered. The first thing I'd do is push the high limit thermostat reset button (if you take the cover off it's located on the left, directly above the pump just under the facia panel).

Then say a prayer and turn on your hot water tap.

Hopefully all is well, and your wallet will feel relived. If not call a GSR Engineer (preferably someone whos been recommended) and let him have a look. If he can't figure it out, tell him to ring Worcester bosch technicalhelpline (it's what their there for).

(P.S. Still doing mygas course, so I would confirm this information with someone moreexperienced)

- Davinder

Last edited:
you say the heating is fine, but the hot water is buggered. The first thing I'd do is push the high limit thermostat reset button (if you take the cover off it's located on the left, directly above the pump just under the facia panel).

Then say a prayer and turn on your hot water tap.

Hopefully all is well, and your wallet will feel relived. If not call a GSR Engineer (preferably someone whos been recommended) and let him have a look. If he can't figure it out, tell him to ring Worcester bosch technicalhelpline (it's what their there for).

(P.S. Still doing mygas course, so I would confirm this information with someone moreexperienced)

- Davinder

Alright mate. The public or unqualified are not allowed to remove covers from boilers. I know your learning and I am not having a pop but you can't tell people to do that. As soon as you remove the cover it is classed as "work" reagrdless if your messing with the gas train or not it is still work that needs to be gas safe registered to do it.

Alright mate. The public or unqualified are not allowed to remove covers from boilers. I know your learning and I am not having a pop but you can't tell people to do that. As soon as you remove the cover it is classed as "work" reagrdless if your messing with the gas train or not it is still work that needs to be gas safe registered to do it.

the public are allowed to take the cover off their own boilers, I dont fancy a big debate on diy gas work but there it is.

Thanks Davinder but he did phone the helpline and they didn't know what else he could try either!

the public are allowed to take the cover off their own boilers, I dont fancy a big debate on diy gas work but there it is.

How can the public be allowed take a cover off a boiler when only competant people are allowed as it is classed as "work"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to boiler clicks off when using hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Hello, I've just found this forum and wondering if anyone can please help us. We've not long moved into our new home. It's has Johnson and Starley warm air heating and hot water tank in airing cupboard. All has been working fine until yesterday. We had the water softener serviced and since then...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock