Discuss boiler bypass circuit - ok into cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My second thread here, the first having been about numerous concerns over a new system install with non working underfloor, and possibly undersized pipes etc...

The issues have now mostly been resolved, however one still remains, the boiler going into overheat as I dont think there is an adequate escape route for heat during the pump overrun.

There is currently no bypass installed (miscommunication between boiler and his employee doing different bits of the job on different days, it got missed) - there is a bypass to be installed shortly.

My questionis that rather than waste this heat, can it be routed so as to bypass the valve to the HW cylinder?

i.e. when the system stops calling for heat, the last remaining bit of heat from pupm overrun is then diverted through the HW just to take the last bit of heat out of the heat exchanger.

Current system layout is as below:
boiler layout.jpg

At present boiler 1 is switched off and lock valves isolated to prevent reverse flow
under floor heating zone valve is locked open, being controlled by its own pump and individual valves at the manifold.

When the system shuts off at present, the zone valves to HW and CH are closed, so I would assume the pump overrun then would flow through the open underfloor circuit, but if this has also been running, then it would appear that either the pump at the manifold is too restrictive and doesnt allow this route to be used as an overrun bypass, or the return is already up to temperature and thus not an effective overrun loop.

What I propose is installing a bypass that would just allow heat from pump overrun into the HW cylinder.

However, thinking it through, this may not be the best of ideas as it does allow for the possibility of heat flowing uncontrolled into the cylinder in the event of a failure of the bypass valve. Effectively making a great big pressure cooker.

There is no seperate run to a towel radiator that could be used, so is the alternative running several metres of pipework round the garage and back to provide enough for a bypass? As there is pottentially the need to accomodate the heat from two boilers wanting to run pump overrun, then does this increase the length/capacity of any bypass required.

I will eventually be having the system changed to a low loss header setup, which should see the problem removed I hope.

While waiting for the bypass to be installed (plumber on hols at present and not back for a fortnight), another possible solution may be to open the taps slightly to the 1st boiler which is currently switched off and allow this run to be used as an escape route, hoping that it doesnt bring with it a reverse flow issue and cause early shut off of the running boiler..

Open to comments advice :)

Attachments

• layout diagram.jpg
    layout diagram.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 29
Simple solution - put run on timers at the motorised / zone valves on the system.

What that would do is keep the valves open for a period of time after the thermostats have shut off.

You can manually set the run on timers, so as long as you set them for a longer period than the boiler pump run on, the problem should be solved.

I generally do this because I hate relying on by-pass valves to circulate water through the system when the zone valves close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to boiler bypass circuit - ok into cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock