Discuss Boiler Breakdown Sticky in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Attended a 24ri a few days ago with just the blue light flashing - would not fire & was working up until yesterday.
Worcester fault sheet suggested:
Gas pressure
Co2 levels
Electrodes
Gas coils
Possibly pcb.
In other words could be anything.
I picked up a set of electrodes & a gasket.
On removal the rectification electrode was a bit short but the electrodes were sparking.
Removed the fan & found part of the rubber flap in the air-gas mixing chamber was missing. The other bit had passed through the fan & was sitting in the bottom of the burner.
Another merchant visit new flap installed & boiler rebuilt.
Still exactly the same fault.
Both coils tested & good resistance 35v being sent by board so all ok there. Gas pressure 23mb but noticeably no drop when the boiler was trying to fire. I would have expected a good 1 or 2 mb drop when trying to fire so deduced that the gas valve had also failed. Fortunately had a spare in the van which does several of the Worcester range.
Factory reset as a start point & apart from 440ppm it fired.
All adjusted to book Co2 settings.
In all about 5 hours including merchant visit.
So the fault sheet was more or less correct in that all those things were wrong with the exception of the pcb.
A bit unusual to get 3 parts fail at once, fortunately the customer was perched on my shoulder & could see each faulty part as they were uncovered.

Regards

Arthur

Love a good brain tease :D

Reply to Boiler Breakdown Sticky in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock