Discuss Blow torch safety in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dazplum

Hi all, when you sense there is only a little gas left in your mapp or propane bottles, is it best to just let the gas burn off, or can this cause light back down the nozzle and cause the cylinder to explode?
Or do you just wait until the pressure is low and replace the cylinder?

many thanks

I'd wait for it to explode. It might brighten up a dull day :smile:

Decent rifle makes them go boom just fire as far away as you can, i really cannot stress how much don't try it with a shotgun *rubs ears*

had an apprentice once wanted to strap 4 of them together to throw on a fire and see what happens........

He stayed in the van a lot.......

I had one run out on me the other day and even though I let go of the trigger on my Superfire 2 it remained burning off what dregs were left. Because I was outside in the sun I didn't realise there was a flame still there, I felt the heat first, tried to fire it up properly to burn the rest off but just got the same short, silent flame until it died altogether. No bang.

Keefy thats interesting too know.
I appreciate the banter guys, but what is the safest method when low on a gas cylinder?:devil:

I use it until it can't be used anymore then chuck it in the bin, then move on to more pressing matters

Don't all blow torches have an air gap between flame and cylinder to provide the correct air/gas ratio? This same gap would also stop the flame searching in towards the gas bottle.

It'll be fine. Worse thing about the gas running out is having to fetch another bottle from the van when you've only got one more joint to make!

On a side note, my wife kept her horse at a local farm.

The farmer returned a month or so ago with a huge smile on his face and was pleased as punch as he told her about his afternoon.

"Oi've just been down to the fields today and pumped propane and oxygen into the mole runs. Then I put a match to it. You should have seen the explosions. Looks like the Sommes down there now!!!"

The farmer returned a month or so ago with a huge smile on his face and was pleased as punch as he told her about his afternoon.

"Oi've just been down to the fields today and pumped propane and oxygen into the mole runs. Then I put a match to it. You should have seen the explosions. Looks like the Sommes down there now!!!"

I think i know what im doing for fun this weekend!

big in america that ! they make a family day out of it !

They do seem to last a long time don't they. There's a lot of fire in such a little can.

Don't worry about them exploding when empty. When they're empty, there's no gas left in the can to explode. They just fizzle out!

I don't bother recycling mine, they just go in the skip when they're done!

Just a little side note.
there is gas left in the can unless you upen the vent on the bottom.

just not enough pressure to force it out with a torch.

when heated when"empty" the pressure goes up and you get a boom of a presurised cylinder + a flash fire fromthe remaining lpg :)

Maybe you should go on Mythbusters!!!!!

Maybe you should go on Mythbusters!!!!!

I live in a farm, the bottles get used as target practice first!

i had a new one which was leaking from the bottom vent.

that got thrown in the bonfire, only took a minute to go bang and they really do fly!

I still use a petrol one, when its empty it just splutters and stops, don't tend to refill it until its gone cold :93:

I live in a farm, the bottles get used as target practice first!

i had a new one which was leaking from the bottom vent.

that got thrown in the bonfire, only took a minute to go bang and they really do fly!

Did you get a CSCS card 1King:15:

I remeber one bonfire night lighting fireworks ! And there was one with no packaging i lit it with my hand on it it went bang straight away flash of light i couldnt see anything and had ringing in my ears ! I thought id lost my hand! When my sight come back i realised my hand was there i was over the moon ! Just burnt my hand, tha ks god for that ! Still got riging in my ears ! Only quietly like !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Blow torch safety in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock