Discuss bit of advice re any guarantee in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumberpete

Gas Engineer
i did a bathroom suite for a property developer.and during installation he was complaining about the old water stains on the 40 year old ceiling below.anyway i fitted the suite and checked every joint at least ten times. even went back next day to replace the bath trap.i showed him everything was working and told him to turn off the water while no one was working in the house and to keep an eye out in case any leaks develop.4 days later he phones me to say there has been a leak.i turn up and check the bath and the hot tap adaptor is leaking and he and his pal are ripping down the kitchen ceiling below.he then states that i have to replace the ceiling.i told his he had no right ripping down the ceiling.he then goes on to to say he hopes the electrics and the 40 year old chipboard flooring are ok.i did ask at the start if they had done other houses and he said yes.i then asked about his regular workforce he replied he keeps changing it.any advice is appreciated.and how do we plumbers cover our bum.thanks

he is a chancer and has no intention of paying you.
act smart and tell him there is no way that will be covered now as your insurers will want to take a look, so tough give me the money or i rip it back out.

does sound alittle dodgy to me, how much water leaked out from your joint?

Have you been paid? if so just ignore him he obviously wants a new ceiling paid for by you.

he has already paid me into my bank account.and i dont know how much water has leaked. i did say to him why did you take down the ceiling as all you should have done is made a couple of holes in the ceiling to drain the water and it can then be repaired.he replied he couldn't leave a ceiling like that.

you now understand why his labour does not stay with him long im afraid. Did he take any photos of the damage? or even better did you take any photos of the old damage before you started work?

He has no proof that your leak caused the ceiling damage. you only have his word for it. If he had left the ceiling alone he might have had a claim. I would tell him to do one.

I wouldn't panic because before he goes anywhere with this he has to give you notice in writing of the problem. You are then meant to notify your liability insurer. your insurer will make representation and then the liability is decided. It looks like he just wanted a new ceiling I would tell him to (a popular 2 word expression ) or more likely a thick lip. It might be a put this down to experience and walk away one because if he hasn't paid you he has no intention to do so.

you now understand why his labour does not stay with him long im afraid. Did he take any photos of the damage? or even better did you take any photos of the old damage before you started work?

he showed me a photo with a fresh water mark on the outer and old fellow stain in the middle.i didn't take any photo as i always make sure there is no leaks and i don't expect even with a leak for that to occur. to take a full ceiling down is pretty dramatic.surely if he had turned the water off at end of work as advised and to keep an eye out in case a leak occurs.what more is a plumber meant to do.thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to bit of advice re any guarantee in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock