Search the forum,

Discuss Best way to chemical flush heating. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a customer asking me to try chemical flush heating rather than a powerflush to save money....

currently has a logic combi with magna clean.

was thinking drain down refill with x800, open all rad valves fully then get the heating on full for a few hour cycles.

Leave it it a week then drain down refill with x100 and hope for the best?

Is there a better way of doing it?

lot better ways in less than an hour.
first point is, if its a logic+ why does it need flushing?
should have been done properly on install!

Just tell him its a false economy. Chemicals are of little use if they cant circulate properly imho.

We did it for years though hammers before all these new-fangled powerflushes started printing money like magic!

Its fine on system that are not to bad however if you don't have a power flush and its a heavily sludged its rads off job like the old days .

The chemicals are only to help break down the Iron oxide/sludge, the power flush is to remove it from the system. Magnacleanse works best for me got 1.5kg out of a 2 bed place that had been done 6 months ago ( so they say ).

Add 2x X800 into the system and run for a week then drain down and flush out each rad one at a time using mains pressure and give them all a bang with a rubber hammer,
Refill with clean water but no Inhibitor run for 2-3 weeks and drain down again to check if its clean if not add another 2 bottles

Had a job where the customer refused to have his system power flushed although his boiler made some lovely noises due to the sludge in the heat ex

Ended up using 10 bottles of X800 and drain and flushed 5 times over a 2 month period,

He still thinks he saved money by not having to replace all his rad valves as they where leaking just on mains water

its pointless not powerflushing if the system is in a condition that warrants it. nothing gets close to the flow rates of a machine with a strong chemical cleaner.

A few years ago, I was talking to one of the boffins at well known chemical company.

He wasn't a sales type, and all he was interested in was the science. He didnt even claim that his company's chemicals were better than the competition. What he told me was that to clean a system you needed:

1) The right concentration of the proper chemical
2) The right temperature - hot = better
3) A long period of time because the chemical reactions are relatively slow. He was talking about days and weeks, not hours.
4) Some kind of forced circulation. This could be a powerflush or a garden hose/hammer

like washing up liquid

it works
it works better with hot water
it works even better if left to soak in the bowl
it works even better when rinsed with fully open cold tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best way to chemical flush heating. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My first post here, looking for some advice. I've just had my boiler replaced with a worcester 4000 combi boiler. The engineer put chemical flush and inhibitor in when filling up, ran the raditors hot and then tested using a strip. And has left both in saying this is safe, and standard...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, I have a challenge with a Main Eco Elite 30 Combi which is short cycling on the CH. Water works fine. As soon as you have call for heat, the boiler fires up, modulates, but jumps very quickly (about 30 seconds or so from 40'ish all the way to 70, burner disengages putting it the...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17 years old. There was a small leak from one of the radiators So I took the pipe off and drained the radiator and the water was black/brown. I took the radiator off and flushed it out with a hose pipe out the garden but it's got me thinking and I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, First Post on here. I am hoping someone can help with the below. I have mounted 2 new rads to a recent extention we have had. The rads are not connected up to the heating system which is a combi fed system. I thought it would be good practice to clean, flush, refill and use an...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm currently working on a job for a customer. their radiators are not all heating up. in total there is 12 radiators. 4 of these are on 15mm pipework, the rest are on 10mm. its powered by a Grundfos ups3 pump. the boiler is an 18kw heat only boiler. There are two radiators mainly...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock