Search the forum,

Discuss Best power tools? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JD89

Hey guys, currently an apprentice doing my NVQ level 2 and building my tools up. Looking to purchase the following;

- SDS drill
- Angle drill
- Impact driver
- Combi cordless

Just want to know which are the best tools out of them 4. Money no object (within reason) as I'm willing to save money in order to purchase the best tool for the job. With the SDS drill I would prefer a corded as the cordless drill are mental prices.

Thanks.

Best going on value I would say :

sds - Bosch mains
angle drill - makita mains or milwaukee cordless
Impact driver and combi drill - milwaukee, makita, dewalt, hitachi, panasonic, all good depending on what you want to use them for.

if money's no object then hilti would tend to be top of the list with most things. You question is to vague really as you need to choose the tool to suit the job. I also don't understand the need for a combi drill as they are never used to hammer drill if you have an sds.

Sack the combi cordless and get an sds cordless and a smaller drill driver cordless.
You will still need a mains powered sds with chisel capabilities IMO.
Another thing to think about is 110v or 240v.

You need the weedy hammer action on a combi to get you started when drilling tiles or when your doing little jobs and can't be bothered to set your SDS up.

For now the impact driver is a luxury tool, don't think you need one at this stage unless you find a good twin pack deal.

Makita for me.

Last edited:
It's speed is very different from the core drill although that could be the gearing in the angle attachment I'd personally say it was to slow for coring

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

Suppose I want the SDS drill mainly for drilling out holes for outside taps and gas pipes also drilling holes for brackets (rads, baths etc)

Angle drill for drilling out holes in joists and tight areas like under sinks.

Impact driver for speed when taking panels off to get to pipes basically for when i need to unscrew loads of screws (used one on site before and fell in love)

Cordless then for drilling tiles and when the angle drill isn't practical enough.

In future I will definitely be getting a cordless SDS, brilliant bit of kit.

Really I want these tools so I can do more stuff on site and show I am capable of doing more tasks so my pay will go up.

Again thanks for the response people :)

You need the weedy hammer action on a combi to get you started when drilling tiles or when your doing little jobs and can't be bothered to set your SDS up.

For now the impact driver is a luxury tool, don't think you need one at this stage unless you find a good twin pack deal.

Makita for me.

if you use tile drill bit you don't need to risk damage to the tile.

That drill is basically their diamond core drill with an angle attachment on it? I wonder if the could just buy the angle head and bolt them together..?

Different drill in both speeds, torque and clutch. Just shares the look and maybe body parts of some other drills.

A little warning, keep an eye on your tools.

im a tool freak and i love my milwaukee tools, the high end ones too

i would say my tool kit while i was still an apprentice put many tradesmen to shame.

before you get nice shiny lovely tools for sitework, get a lockable box to put them in.

the dewalt tough range are pricey, but heavy duty and you can whack a padlock on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best power tools? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock