Discuss Being self employed and doing an NVQ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi has anyone done an NVQ through being self employed?

Is it even possible or do you think it would depend on the college?

As I have the 6129 in addition to my ACS, I'd like to do the NVQ also, it would be good experience and I can only benefit from it. Basically doing an apprenticeship but being self employed. I aim to be up and running before the end of the year and will only be doing jobs I am capable of but will carry on going out with the guy who is giving me weekend experience providing he agrees to this.

Good idea or bad idea? :confused:

Thanks

Sounds fine to me. As long as you don't take on more than you are capable of I can't see there being a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I did the level 2 NVQ as self employed but had someone I know local to me come and quickly check my work and sign of relevant sections in the portfolio.
you would need to explain your situation to the college and see what they say.
the limiting factor would likely be the time they are willing to give to inspect your work.
if the jobs are well planned they only need to come out on two visits
having someone willing to check and sign of some work will make it easier to accomplish.

Excellent thanks for the replies I will look in to it closer to September.

i was told by a tutor at college that you cant be self employed and put your self through nvq,but you could with one of you`re employees.dont know how true this is,and im sure a training centre would still allow you to do it.would like to hear if you find out otherwise .

The nvq philosophy is one that does not need experience - assessment is based on an outcome. If you can prove competence, then no training at all is required.

You need a qualified and experienced plumber to be able to visit you at work and sign off your portfolio if you do the NVQ when self employed.

good luck with your local college. mine wont have anything to do with helping me sort out my NVQ whilst self employed
however i have heard of other more helpful colleges just depends whether you get someone who understands
or a jobsworth who cant be arsed

As i believe there are no checks on your employer or even if you have 1 you could get your work signed off by anyone but that changes with gas

Done mine self employed ash, you just need someone nvq2 minimum to sign off the works you do that the nvq Inspector doesnt witness first hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Being self employed and doing an NVQ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock