Discuss Been to quote on a job. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Pushing my boundaries a wee bit but only on terms of scale, not skill. I would say. Prob need to buy couple of additions to the ol' power tools but if the job pays for them then that's fine.

Prob is converting two steel pipes to copper. Have't worked with the stuff since college and don't have any of the gear. From memory I need a cutter, a threader, hemp, some sort of goo and a steel to copper conversion coupling if such a thing exists which it surely will..

Question is .. would I be better off contacting some plumbers that have the kit and paying for one to come along and leave me with two copper-receiving unions....or hiring out the stuff and testing rusty skills? Or will I even find anyone who'll do it?

I'm guessing it'd be a £50-£60 jobby..

Had to do a conversion from steel to 22mm copper a few weeks back and the coupling (which does exist) cost £45:eek:! (Lucky i work for a firm:D)

It was bought from a local merchant who i've never used befor because i was in an area i dont know and wicks and b&q dont stock them. So i dont know if that was a rip-off or not.

making the connections wasnt to hard, just remember to use ptfe or LSX (Just incase :rolleyes:)

I also actualy cut it with an angle grinder because i broke my hacksaw blade and didnt have any spares.. went throught it in about 20 seconds, but wouldnt realy recomend doing that unless you have to :)

The fitting didn't require threading the pipe.

And yeah £45! I would have cried if that was my job that i had only qouted £40 to do! (As my boss had :D)

But i don't know if that was the merchant ripping me off or what.. I would call your supplier to see what price he charges for them befor giving a qoute to the customer ;)

have you seen this job if so you can cut the pipe and unscrew it back to an elbow or tee or even a threaded end of the pipe and get a couple of male or female iron to copper fit them on and work away in copper just use plenty of ptfe have a look in a toolstation or screwfix catalogues and familiarise yourself with the fittings good luck:)regards turnpin

Hi. Check out the system first. As sticking bits of copper pipe in a galv/barrel system can cause long term problems.

Get a philmac universal coupler (from most merchants) a piece of pizz to fit. I got a 15-24mm one for about 15 squid!

Google it!

From memory..(I must but a digi camera and takes photos of any reccies...would that seem bizarre and unprofessional?) ..the pipes first appear visible, jointless, bent, from behind a cooker, then run up the wall into the first floor bathroom where they are converted to copper which is all to be ripped out and hidden under the floorboards anyway..

Universal couplings like philmac sound the way to go, especially if they're so easy to use. But I guess they're probably quite bulky? These pipes are fairly tight against the wall. Might need to chase / cut out a bit and box in the joints...

Where are you located there is a company in Mansfield that stocked them. valves tubes and fittings it's called. It's all compression makes a possible difficult job easy they cost about £9 + vat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Been to quote on a job. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back