Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Becoming a gas safe engineer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leakylee

Hi there all, this is my first time on any sort of forum so excuse me if i get things wrong. I have been a level 2 plumber for a couple of years now and I am wanting to progress to gas safe engineer. The problem I have is I'm self employed, I do use a gas safe engineer for my gas work and he has agreed to sign any relevant course work. My question is this, How do I become a gas safe engineer? I cannot find any info or explanation of what I will have to do (e.g. 2 years training with a day at college each week like my N.V.Q). I even went to a gas training centre in Welwyn Garden City and they confused me even more, suffice to say I wont be training with them as they were very poor at communicating. Can someone please explain to me what the procedure/time/cost will be. Many thanks.

Really you need to contact a training centre, to see what their criteria is. I believe different awarding bodies have different criteria to meet. Last time I helped someone out, they went on a foundation course, then went away and completed a portfolio of evidence, around 45 jobs iirc. Once the Tc are satisfied with the portfolio, they will then let you sit your Acs exams.
Kirkgas will give you more info.
Welcome to the firum btw

Thanks Grahamgas, So basically it goes like this, do training at centre, complete portfolio onsite, sit Acs exams, become gas safe! is that the jist of it? one last thing is kirkgas in hertfordshire? cheers

"And when you've fitted the new fan belt on that Bentley, you're next job is a dripping tap at no.49..."

Before starting your acs ,seriously look for somebody to work with and start making a portfolio.
When I trained doing my acops many years ago ,there weren't many training schools .
Just bare in mind just because you pass your acs and get gs reg ,ask yourself this are you really competent ?
i knew a guy that passed his acs about a month ago he couldn't carry out a drop test and gas rate .

Thanks Grahamgas, So basically it goes like this, do training at centre, complete portfolio onsite, sit Acs exams, become gas safe! is that the jist of it? one last thing is kirkgas in hertfordshire? cheers

decide on where you will do training by discussing their requirements and costs to you, i know of the bpec foundation course, either 26 weeks full time if no plumbing quals, or 6-8 weeks in class plus relevant time building portfolio with gas safe engineer, time can be flexible depending on variation of gas work available to you, when the portfolio and training are complete ( they "should" be done together to ensure better understanding and relevance but it is technically possible to do one then the other) then you can sit ACS then you can pay gas safe £428 and you will be registered and on 3 months probation within which time you will be visited by them and a check made on your competence
from a personal point i dont like the course providers who charge you to do all training first then cut you loose to do your portfolio, cause its in their T&C's that if you dont get the portfolio done you cant sit the exams and therefore you have wasted your money
im based just outside Glasgow and do training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Becoming a gas safe engineer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas...
Replies
Views
A
Hi guys I finished my gas course in September can anyone help me i need to do 2 install and services. Am living i ln leeds west yorkshire I do...
Replies
Views
Ahmad marian
A
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This...
Replies
Views
Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock