Discuss Become a tutor or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Curnsie28

Hey all, just looking to see if anyone could share a bit of experience about teaching plumbing and/or domestic ng/lpg. I am interested in following this line of work and would like advise, thanks

I am only young to the game been qualified 5 or 6 years but if I were to teach it in the future I would only be able to teach proper apprenticeships non of this fasttrack

Yea i know what you mean. My heart is wanting to be a gas inspector for some company who supplies gas like
pheonix gas or firmus energy in Northern Ireland who require inspections on installers work before completion or likewise a building company looking someone to oversee any gas work carried out.

What experience do you have if actually doing the job? You won't make a good teacher or inspector until you can firstly do the job and secondly learn to teach or inspect ( not ticket science, but not as easy as some who haven't tried it would have you believe) I've met brilliant gas and plumbers who have tried to teach it and can't get into it enough to enjoy it
I started doing it part time and built up the hours while I was Gas Manager for Scotland when I worked will Carillion, as I was in and out the training providers sorting training for the gas team, built it up starting with training, then went through A1 assessor qual then V1 to do internal Verifying, verifying is the easier of the two as you are cross referencing completed paperwork against the answer grids to ensure the assessor has got it right
I'm not saying you can't teach as soon as you are qualified but it wouldn't be easy as you will get asked a question from someone who has tons more experience than you and it's a struggle to explain, I did some Oil quals years ago so I could assess it, but to be honest I hated every minute of it as it was a struggle as I had no practical experience,

Last edited by a moderator:
Woodythewoodpecker what's wrong with the right people doing fast track? It's domestic gas not rocket science or brain surgery, I've taught 100's of people via a 6 month full time course ( is that fast track?) and I've always said if someone has the right attitude and aptitude I can teach them to do domestic gas properly and safely

Kirkgas,

i am at the plumbing now for 15 years and a registered gas engineer for 12. Do u think i could possibly be at a stage where i could tutor and Assess other engineers etc?

Ever trained anybody?

Years ago, in a former life I did my city and guilds 9294 work place trainer and assessor. Found it very rewarding.

Knowledge is a necessity, but I think its only a small part of the skillset required to be a succesful trainer/assessor.

I`m of the view that there are good engineers that would struggle to be a teacher, not through knowledge of the subject matter but from training on speech delivery and control of people.

That`s my experiance and it`s something I wont be trying again anytime soon.

Thats right rpm there is a statistic that so many people hate public speaking and its a true fact,

It`s not the public speaking part and I`ve done one-on-one and one-on-two training which is rewarding but anymore pupils than that and I struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Become a tutor or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock