Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom Sink Coupler Down Pipe Issue in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge in this but i'm a first time buyer so this is all very new to me. Last month i moved into a property in SE London which seems to have developed a bit of an issue since the weekend. The back of the bathroom sink isn't connected properly - as you can see in the picture below the upper (white part) of the sink should be connected to the grey pipe but doesn't appear able to grip it due to the weight of the grey pipe. I've tried to buy parts to join the two up tightly but had no luck with sizes. The white bit measures 5.5cm in width and the grey pipe around 3.5 cm width. Another troubling thing is the fact that the grey pipe can be moved up and down quite significantly - is this normal? To be honest i'd have imagined that it would be fixed and not resting in the floor like it is. It looks like there is soil around the pipe entry to the tiles, but i'm presuming this is mould or dirt from dripping in the past - can anyone confrim this?

Any help would be wonderful!

THanks in advance.

David

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg

Looking at your first picture:
1. Unscrew the knurled nut at the bottom of the white pipe.
2. Inside should be a conical black rubber washer and a plain plastic (usually blue or red washer).
3. Clean the pipes up.
4. Put the white plastic nut over the black pipe, in the same orientation as your photograph. Make sure it doesn't slide too far down the black pipe, perhaps put a bit of tape on the pipe.
5. Slip the plain plastic washer over the black pipe and let is slip down inside the white plastic nut.
6. Put the conical rubber washer on the black pipe, with the narrow part of the cone facing upwards. It will be a slightly tight fit. Push it down so that there is about 15 mm of black pipe showing above the edge of the conical washer.
7. Push the nut upwards on the black pipe, and screw it onto the end of the white pipe. Firm finger tight should be enough, but as its been used, firm finger tight plus 1/4 turn might be better.
Doing the above should provide enough grip to stop the black pipe slipping down again.

If you need to replace any parts, you need a basin (not sink, which are larger) waste. Get a Mcalpine X10 and just use the parts you need.

Looking at your first picture:
1. Unscrew the knurled nut at the bottom of the white pipe.
2. Inside should be a conical black rubber washer and a plain plastic (usually blue or red washer).
3. Clean the pipes up.
4. Put the white plastic nut over the black pipe, in the same orientation as your photograph. Make sure it doesn't slide too far down the black pipe, perhaps put a bit of tape on the pipe.
5. Slip the plain plastic washer over the black pipe and let is slip down inside the white plastic nut.
6. Put the conical rubber washer on the black pipe, with the narrow part of the cone facing upwards. It will be a slightly tight fit. Push it down so that there is about 15 mm of black pipe showing above the edge of the conical washer.
7. Push the nut upwards on the black pipe, and screw it onto the end of the white pipe. Firm finger tight should be enough, but as its been used, firm finger tight plus 1/4 turn might be better.
Doing the above should provide enough grip to stop the black pipe slipping down again.

If you need to replace any parts, you need a basin (not sink, which are larger) waste. Get a Mcalpine X10 and just use the parts you need.
Steadyon you legend! These detailed instructions have worked like a charm. Thanks so much. Have a great evening :)

Reply to Bathroom Sink Coupler Down Pipe Issue in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock