Discuss Bath taps - need to sort it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Friends

Went to a flat today, leak under bath.

Ok, removed bath panel, can see hot tap (furthest away!!) dripping.

Undo overflow to try to get a bit more space.

cannot get grips, adjustable or even my Armeg in there to tighten nut.

So, I need to know how you do it? Is there are tool I'm missing? I need a wide jawed adjustable with a short handle?

I've gotta go back!

Any thoughts?

Even if I took the closest tap to me off there still no space to manoeuvre a tool.

Cheers

Rct

You can get stubby wide jaw adjustables. However a cheap crows foot (shetack wrench) would probably be mire use

i still think a monument basin spanner is the best tool i dont fix the tommy bar in just use a driver or spanner on the end of the shaft or even grips if need be

Footprints often will do what other grips or spanners can't.
A pair of 6" or 7" plus a 9" Footprints are very handy.
It is surprising that the much bigger 9" Footprint can be used on bath taps. Just takes a lot of patience getting them in the right position.
I also use Monument basin spanner. Very good, but I have a similar old high quality basin spanner that has one claw only (not removeable) which is very slim & well designed & it can do most jobs well.

cannot get grips, adjustable or even my Armeg in there to tighten nut.
Of course you can get it and get a turn on it. Nothing changed on this for 100 years or so.
Yes it is awkward but is easily done with the right tools which you should have on you.
Crowfoots of one type or the other will always get on and get a turn.
Bahco do the small 4" spanners but depending on your wrist strength you might not be able to get enough purchace on that.
The wee 7" footprints as Best says can get a grip where others won't as they are at a different angle.
Its all about having the tools for the job.

Of course you can get it and get a turn on it. Nothing changed on this for 100 years or so.
Yes it is awkward but is easily done with the right tools which you should have on you.
Crowfoots of one type or the other will always get on and get a turn.
Bahco do the small 4" spanners but depending on your wrist strength you might not be able to get enough purchace on that.
The wee 7" footprints as Best says can get a grip where others won't as they are at a different angle.
Its all about having the tools for the job.

No, you can't get anything in, as I said.

Google: Basin Spanner or Basin Wrench.

If that can't do it - nothing can

I've got all the gear. The only way to do it is to remove the nearest tap, something I wanted to avoid as no ISO valves so gotta find & hope there's valves.

Cheers

No, you can't get anything in, as I said.

Ideally, if you could remove the first pipe (the cold pipe in your case, which you could refit later with a solder or brass connector) you will get at it much easier.
You should be able to get your arm in below & then up at back or front of pipe. Footprints are square to the nut & should be able to be slid up to the nut to get a slight turn on the backnut. I have always been able to do this, but I find my first attempt always seems awkward & near impossible but a bit of patience & I find I can get the nut slackened.
On old cast iron baths with ancient taps done in putty etc, I just cut any female sts off & drill the backnuts & split them off.

I’ve made myself this bad boy.

badboy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bath taps - need to sort it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock