Discuss Bath taps - 15 to 22mm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harni

Hi all,
First post here. Ive been reading around the forums a lot lately and have been very informative! I think i know the answer to my question here but just want confirmation.

We are redoing our bathroom and relocating the bath. Currently the cold water supply (mains fed) is a 15mm pipe tee'd off to the bath then steps up to 22mm so the plumber who installed the bath originally could use a 22mm to 3/4" flexi on the tap. This i was just going to do away with the 22mm when i extend the pipe and run it all in 15mm to a 15mm-3/4" flexi.
The hot tap is another matter. The hot supply to the bath was originally run in lead pipe and has been connected to a very small length of 22mm copper with a lead locker again when the bath was changed years ago. Again, i think the only reason the 22mm was used was because the plumber only had 22mm-3/4 flexes in his van! Will i be ok to go from the lead locker in 15mm straight to the tap same as I'm planning to do with the cold feed?
Hot water is fed from a Wocester combi boiler so mains fed and the hot water feed from the boiler is 15mm so i don't see any need for any 22mm pipe in the hot water supply but just wanted to be sure before i start!

Thanks!

Hi Harni and welcome to the forum, yes 15mm will be sufficient for both your hot and your colds, your combi boiler only puts out a 15mm hot so thats fine , Just like you were suggesting run the 15mm right to the bath and use 2 flexis ( tap end 22mm and other end of flexi is 15mm), you get these flexis and it will save you buying 22mm flexis then reducers to go with it, good luck

Hi Harni and welcome to the forum, yes 15mm will be sufficient for both your hot and your colds, your combi boiler only puts out a 15mm hot so thats fine , Just like you were suggesting run the 15mm right to the bath and use 2 flexis ( tap end 22mm and other end of flexi is 15mm), you get these flexis and it will save you buying 22mm flexis then reducers to go with it, good luck

Spot on thanks for your help!

The hot supply to the bath was originally run in lead pipe and has been connected to a very small length of 22mm copper with a lead locker again when the bath was changed years ago. Again, i think the only reason the 22mm was used was because the plumber only had 22mm-3/4 flexes in his van! Will i be ok to go from the lead locker in 15mm straight to the tap same as I'm planning to do with the cold feed?

Using 15mm-3/4 flexes will be fine however I would strongly advise removing all lead pipe work!

At the moment thats not possible until the kitchen below is redone. Feed comes into the house, feeds the kitchen in copper then up stairs to the old airing cupboard where the combi is now located and then into the bathroom then back down to the hot water tap in the kitchen. Backwards way of it all being plumbed but its due to the plumbing being altered over the years.

Just bear in mind that the 15mm flexi's are more restrictive than the 22mm.

Wonder if thats why it was done then? In all fairness, we do get really good pressure and flow on the bath taps and shower head and once its done, we are planning on using a slightly bigger shower head so don't want to loose any flow.

Whys that Plumben? So that the internal diameter doesn't drop?
Not questioning you. Im a DIYer incase you hadn't guessed so I'm really keen to learn these things!

No worries, the internal diameter on flexes can be really small, also flexies can kink and break,
where as 15mm copper with reducers to 22mm tap cons will give you better internal diameter and flow rate won't be affected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bath taps - 15 to 22mm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock