Search the forum,

Discuss Bath problem in housing assosiation wet room. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jackplumb

I was recently asked to fit a bath in a housing association wet room. I was asked to use the shower waste outlet as a bath waste, when I raised concerns they said that the shower waste was more than capable of dealing with bath waste. Also the integrity of the wet room was to be maintained so therefore I was not able to pipe the waste outside and was asked not to secure the bath to the floor but to use mastic. By this time alarm bells were ringing and I should have walked away but was asured that all would be fine. Anyway now you've guessed it the shower waste has a blockage and the bath has started to move. Hind sight is a wonderful thing. What should I do?

did you get anything written down, or did you put in a written quote.
if you did the job to the specification requested then you've done your job.

were you asked by the association or the tenant. if the tenant it sounds like they didnt have permission anyway
if they didnt i wouldn't do any more work.

I'm with Gravytrain on this.

A H/A would have used their own plumbers or a contractor via a written quote or schedule of rates; so it looks like the tenant wouldn't have had permission.

If that's the case then the tenant could approach their landlord for advice, you never know they may redo the waste and secure the bath.

If you don't feel good about walking away perhaps put the job back as it was.

Just spoke to H/A and you are right they would not agreed to the work but told occupants it can be done but they must pay.
Any damage to the integrity of the wetroom must be noted in the H/A survey so as they can bill the occupants if they were ever to move.
If the occupants want it installed correctly I will get a letter together so all parties understand the agreement.
I do live in small village so probably best to keep everyone happy.

The survey said that I used a chalk based filler as a sealant, obviously not true but what do I say to that?

Unfortunately many of the cheaper silicon fillers do seem to have a lot of chalk in them to bulk them out. That is not to say you never paid a small fortune for it and so thought it was a good one. I must admit it was only recently that I found they had chalk in them at all. I just never thought about it.

Interesting B2, I'd never had even considered chalk as a bulking agent in silicon sealant.

if the bath installation instruction say it needs fixing down to the floor then it should be done. Most bath legs can not take any sidewards loads that movement may place on them. If there is a accident you will be blamed for not fitting it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bath problem in housing assosiation wet room. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft but an unvented cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard. A gas heat only boiler. Upstairs I have two en suite rooms. One with a shower and one with...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
T
Hello everyone. I've recently bought an old house with no gas, no central heating and a knackered old electric immersion tank. I'm trying to work out the most sensible way to plumb it for hot water needs. Bit overwhelmed. Background: the house has no gas and no central heating. All heating...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Although not really my line of work, I have a full bathroom refurb to do where the bath with overhead shower is to be replaced with a low-level shower and I'm a bit worried about potential issues with the existing low flow-rate of wastewater which puddles for short periods by about 3cm in the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock