Discuss Bath damge discovered 3 months after delivery in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Just fitting a bathroom for my parents inbetween other jobs, they got the suite from B&Q (don't ask!) :32:eek:n special offer and kept it in the conservatory for 3 months.

Now, I will never fit any bath or shower tray until the film is removed and I'm happy there's no damage, when the suite was delivered my dad says he 'checked' it but he never removed the film, only when this is removed can you see its been belted and cracked the corner. When the film is one there always looks to be damage everywhere but its just the creases in the film.

Bath is one of those D shaped ones with a one piece panel, dad went to B&Q today and manager got on his high horse and said we should have checked fully upon delivery and its been too long now for a free replacement. I didn't check at the time because I though my dad did etc.

Bath is £230 so not massively expensive but he's taking it further now, what are his chances do you think? I can kind of see B&Q's argument as they'll get folk trying it on all the time.

Could always try the swap or I'll not shop here again and advise all my future customers to go bath store

If they are being a bum about it couldn't you just buy another one and take the broken one back and ask for a refund. If they wan't to be an bum about it you can be too! :smilewinkgrin:

i think they have a 28 day return policy , check on the back of the receipt.
after 28 days, probably at the managers discretion. imo

Could always try the swap or I'll not shop here again and advise all my future customers to go bath store

I'm fitting a bathstore suite for another job at the moment and the pedestal was just a cardboard box full of broken pottery, again suite was in their garage for a good six weeks and bathstore told them they would have to pay.

Just proves that everything should be thoroughly checked upon delivery.
I wouldn't blame any supplier for refusing to accept liability after more than a few days.

Just proves that everything should be thoroughly checked upon delivery.
I wouldn't blame any supplier for refusing to accept liability after more than a few days.

Aye I suppose you're right, its just very hectic at the moment, everything else was checked and the toilet was damaged and we had 4 replacements in the end before we got a decent one. They bought two suites, one for the ensuite and other for bathroom. Whole thing has been a nightmare but I told him not to go to B&Q!

Try another branch of B&Q. Their manager might be a bit more understanding.

If you have a tradepoint card I find they tend to be a bit more forgiving. Best option is as said buy another and take it back with the fresh receipt.

You can't blame then though, you could have had it propped up in a garage for 6 weeks and then knocked it over one day.

Failing all of that, you could set fire to it in their car park and accept your loss?

Aye I suppose you're right, its just very hectic at the moment, everything else was checked and the toilet was damaged and we had 4 replacements in the end before we got a decent one. They bought two suites, one for the ensuite and other for bathroom. Whole thing has been a nightmare but I told him not to go to B&Q!

I agree that it's been unfortunate Phil but three months is a lot of hectic and four toilets before they got a good one should really have set alarm bells ringing.
I'm sure this is a genuine story but if you look at it from the suppliers point of view they could argue that if the customer was vigilant enough to find flaws in several toilets then surely that customer would have checked everything thoroughly.
They could also be forgiven for thinking that the customer may have damaged the bath themselves and are trying to con a new bath out of them.
I have been a retailer myself in a past life and you'd be surprised at some of the stunts Joe Public try to pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bath damge discovered 3 months after delivery in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the...
Replies
Views
C
Hello there. I wonder whether anyone could suggest what may be the issue with the hot water in my bathroom. I have asked four different plumbers...
Replies
Views
CharlieMcT
C
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock