Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Bad smell in bathroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charlie Smith

Hi,

I am new here but just thought i would ask some advice before going ahead trying to fix my probelm.I started getting a bad sewage type smell in my bathroom last week then noticed a patch on my downstairs ceiling directly below my toilet.This morning i cut out a patch in the ceiling and found a small grey pipe going into a larger brown one around 4inch i think.It looks like my sink and bath waste tying into my toilet waste through a rubber seal.It looks like the rubber seal is loose and toilet waste is dripping out and was nearly through the plasterboard.I ran a bath last night and the smell cleared after the bath drained so i thought it was a bit of stale water in pipes.The smell was back again this morning.The pipe then goes to a septic tank although i noticed there is no vent..should there be one?I was just wondering is the solution as simple as pushing the seal back in tight.Any advice would be appreciated thanks.
Charlie 20121203_100756.jpg

There should be a vent somewhere in the system.

That's not a good way of joining withing a floor on the horizontal.

Charlie, anybody who uses below ground drainage pipe & that type of rubber seal inside a floor void is going to have made many other mistakes, without access to the whole installation it is not going to be possible to help you other than to suggest that you get a good plumber around to have a look & quote for the work required.

Thanks for your replies.I am going to get a plumber round to go over the whole house.I was thinking it didnt look good but wanted to make sure.This isnt the first problem we have had with the plumbing and the house is only 5 years old.
thanks again Charlie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bad smell in bathroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello I have a mystery, my bathroom has a sewage smell appears to get far worse 5pm-9pm. I have plugged my bathroom/sink with plugs and its 100%...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have an issue and hoping someone could shed some light on the problem. We have been getting a smell coming up in the bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built...
Replies
Views
My house is on a block foundation. It needs to be dug around outside and resealed. Estimate was over $30k so that is not an option. When the...
Replies
Views
First of all, apologies, it seems this topic has been posted but don't believe my specific issue is covered. So been living in my Victorian house...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock