Search the forum,

Discuss back boiler ventilation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob150811

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
vent is in floor don't think its ducted Is it AR to be honest its going to be difficult to explain to this old boy why he has had it serviced year after year and no one has mentioned the vent being an issue so if its not AR I will let it pass

I'd give him a polite notice suggesting he has it sorted !

Ducting the supply/combustion air is due to preventing Radon gas from ground entering his property.

It ( Radon), is linked to lung cancer. It creates radioactive dust which we breath in.

The vent which is open to below the floor could bring the gas into his home. If it isn't ducted.

It is a health risk ! If the gas is present. You can get information online regarding where about's in the UK the higher concentrations are

Last edited:
Venting through the under floor space is an acceptable method.

Make certain the vent is permanent. Check there is sufficient outside
air coming in to the under floor area.

Venting through the under floor space is an acceptable method.

Make certain the vent is permanent. Check there is sufficient outside
air coming in to the under floor area.

Floor ventilation for open flue appliances does not have to be ducted. Only flueless requires ducted ventilation through floors, and if room doesnt go direct to outside air - then ducted through rooms too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to back boiler ventilation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a 40 year old floor standing Glow Worm 45-60 boiler (open vent )which is in a cupboard in the centre of the house. Its an old workhouse and has been working without issue until now. The pilot light went out and now wont relight. It lights but as soon as you release the button it goes...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with venting through the external wall and I'm reluctant to go with an electric boiler instead (because of the consumption cost)). It's a sealed system. The...
Replies
Views
Hey there I'm looking for some advice on a potential issue I'm having with an old back boiler. So just moved into my parents' old house with my partner, it's a terrace with back to back chimneys in the kitchen and the sitting room. The fireplace in the kitchen is the old back boiler that hasn't...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
E
Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find an answer to my questions. I have a back boiler and gas fire which h has been serviced regularly over the years by different engineers with no issues. Last time , the guy wanted to condem it due to not being compliant with...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock