Discuss Back boiler replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bob212

Hi, I am having my back boiler replaced in a few weeks. I wanted to keep the existing fire as it is but my installer tells me this is not possible. Is this the case? Someone else told me the back boiler and fire could stay in place as long as the back boiler was disconnected from the gas.

Thanks

the later is correct,you can keep the fire as long as the backboiler is disabled and its combustion box is in good condition

Agree fire can be kept if back boiler stays in position as intragated flue system

However just to shake the can of worms
Can you keep it fitted if claiming £400 scrappage scheme refund
As fire part of boiler unit you are claiming to scrap and if not removed ,then appliance has not been fully replaced or scrapped :confused:

Agree fire can be kept if back boiler stays in position as intragated flue system

However just to shake the can of worms
Can you keep it fitted if claiming £400 scrappage scheme refund
As fire part of boiler unit you are claiming to scrap and if not removed ,then appliance has not been fully replaced or scrapped :confused:

interesting point puddle,they may want to crush his bermuda:D

Acording to Baxi,the BBU's burner has to be left in but disabled & isolated, but not sure how you stand with scrappage?
Martin

Thanks for the replys, I am going through the scrappage scheme so maybe it has to come out!

Just one more thing, I'm getting a Baxi Duo-Tec 33kw boiler put in, but my water pressure is only 12 litres per minute at the bathroom cold tap according to the installer, he says that's enough but I proberbly won't get fantastic pressure. Is he right?

Thanks for the replys, I am going through the scrappage scheme so maybe it has to come out!

Just one more thing, I'm getting a Baxi Duo-Tec 33kw boiler put in, but my water pressure is only 12 litres per minute at the bathroom cold tap according to the installer, he says that's enough but I proberbly won't get fantastic pressure. Is he right?

yes he is so sadly you wont get the benefit of full boiler performance to dhw good combi though

If you want to keep the fire (assuming it's a log burner with back boiler) you need to empty the water out as best you can, fit a blank plug at the bottom then fill it with sand or salt to absorb any remaining water and leave the top plug open so any water that does boil can evaporate.

If you close both ends you risk an explosion if you leave too much water in it or if it creates large amounts of condensation, hence the idea of salt/sand to absorb and leaving the top open.

If you want to keep the fire (assuming it's a log burner with back boiler) you need to empty the water out as best you can, fit a blank plug at the bottom then fill it with sand or salt to absorb any remaining water and leave the top plug open so any water that does boil can evaporate.

If you close both ends you risk an explosion if you leave too much water in it or if it creates large amounts of condensation, hence the idea of salt/sand to absorb and leaving the top open.

you have lost me mate it sounds like a bermuda please explain

I'm not surprised ... LOL

I was responding to the top post!

Hmmm - just read through all this - errr ... it's been a long day!

Last edited by a moderator:
BOB212

IS THIS GUY OR AT THE SAME COMPUTER.

Matt Grange Plumbing, Heating & Gas

Covering the Teesside area - Stockton, Middlesbrough, Darlington etc.

Gas Safe Registered providing full installation, service & repair services

www.mattgrange-gas.co.uk

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

WHY?

Im sure i read a Technical Bulletin about removeing the boiler part of a bbfire. See if i can find it.

Technical Bulletin 091

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Back boiler replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock