Discuss Automatic bypass query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

A ABV is designed to work with a pump running in constant curve (fixed speed) mode so as the flow rate reduces the pump head rises and the ABV will start opening or open more depending on its setting.
The pump above if set to 250 mb constant pressure mode will maintain this pressure irrespective of the flow demand by inc/dec of the pump speed, so a ABV is not really suited to this pump mode but will give some form of control as the differential head across the ABV will vary a little with different flowrates and on where it is installe despite having a fixed pump head.
So if you want to try it, reduce the ABV setting until you feel the piping getting hot, if you are sure that the pump setting is 250mb then reduce the setting to 0.25 and then slowly further reduce it. If one uses the Honeywell DU144 ABV as a guide then with a pump head of 250mb and a ABV setting of 0.2 should give a by pass of ~ 350 kgs/hr or ~ 6 LPM, if the flow demand then increases the deltaP across the ABV should decrease a little and it should start closing in etc.

Hi John

So, if the system does not really need an ABV then I can set it to fully high (0.5) without any ill effects?

I am a bit wary of setting it low and allowing it to come in as when it does it is robbing what little heat the boiler is producing (an Evohome bringing it on for one minute and the boiler having sost start so it does not raise the temp by more than 1-2 degrees in this time) away from the radiators on the same level (which are near closed at that point in time)

Thanks
Colin

A manual bypass seems to be the recommended way of doing things but you have a bypass albeit a ABV which IMO will give you a measure of control over the bypass if indeed any bypass is required at all, the Evohome probably not but can't answer for your boiler.

Re robbing power a ABV will probably only dissipate 200/300 watts so even if your boiler is on its max turndown (10:1) say 3kw or so?, 250 watts is only "robbing" 6/7% of its output and remember the 1 minute runtime is the minimum run time, I can't see any reason why the boiler can't/won't run for > this time, if required.

Also read post#19 above.

Where is the ABV installed in relation to your boiler?, if adjacent/close then I think it can give reasonable control.

Hi John

It is not close to the boiler, it is on the top floor of the house and the boiler is directly below it on the ground floor.

The concern was as there are also radiators on the same level that the ABV would pinch heat from them but, as far as I can tell it is looking like my issue is due to the slow start of the boiler itself as in one minute it barely raises a couple of degrees and once that is pushed around lost in the pipes then not much goes to the radiator.

This morning the system was calling for heat on several radiators and the Evohome doing its one minute on/9 minutes off and the radiators were still cold. Once the hot water requested heat from the boiler it ramped up (after ~ 10 minutes) to 70 degrees and all the radiators that were requesting heat got hot (so valve definitely open enough, simply not enough heat from the boiler in one minute).

It is looking like this boiler will not work with the Evohome (which is a shame as the same installer installed both the boiler and the Evohome).

The heating data from this morning was

Time offset in minutesDegrees on boilerDegrees increase from initialDegrees increase from previous time point
027--

Thanks
Colin

Hi John

It is not close to the boiler, it is on the top floor of the house and the boiler is directly below it on the ground floor.

The concern was as there are also radiators on the same level that the ABV would pinch heat from them but, as far as I can tell it is looking like my issue is due to the slow start of the boiler itself as in one minute it barely raises a couple of degrees and once that is pushed around lost in the pipes then not much goes to the radiator.

This morning the system was calling for heat on several radiators and the Evohome doing its one minute on/9 minutes off and the radiators were still cold. Once the hot water requested heat from the boiler it ramped up (after ~ 10 minutes) to 70 degrees and all the radiators that were requesting heat got hot (so valve definitely open enough, simply not enough heat from the boiler in one minute).

It is looking like this boiler will not work with the Evohome (which is a shame as the same installer installed both the boiler and the Evohome).

The heating data from this morning was

Time offset in minutesDegrees on boilerDegrees increase from initialDegrees increase from previous time point
027--

Thanks
Colin
There’s obviously a problem somewhere, as if the rooms aren’t at the set point the Evohome should be calling for heat longer than 1 minute. I’d suggest doing a full system reset and setting up from the start again.

There’s obviously a problem somewhere, as if the rooms aren’t at the set point the Evohome should be calling for heat longer than 1 minute. I’d suggest doing a full system reset and setting up from the start again.
Hi

It is one room that is acting awkward with respect to the set point. The rest say they are at temperature on the controller but the data says they are calling for heat but not getting warm (as the boiler needs a good 5 minutes to raise its temperature by just 1-3 degrees ( 2 minutes gives only gives around 1-2 degrees more).

I am gathering information for the installers and will ask if they should set it up again (but suspect will still have some issue with the boiler output)

Thanks
Colin

Last edited:
Hi

It is one room that is acting awkward with respect to the set point. The rest say they are at temperature on the controller but the data says they are calling for heat but not getting warm (as the boiler needs a good 5 minutes to raise its temperature by just 1-3 degrees ( 2 minutes gives only gives arounf 1-2 degrees more).

I am gathering information for the installers and will ask if they should set it up again (but suspect willstill have some issue with the boiler output)

Thanks
Colin
Out of interest have you got the weather compensation features and load compensation turned on under the settings? That maybe your issue too. Especially if it’s been set incorrectly.

Out of interest have you got the weather compensation features and load compensation turned on under the settings? That maybe your issue too. Especially if it’s been set incorrectly.
Hi

These functions are not set (say disabled)

I have set the min on time to 2 minutes as per previous suggestion to see if that makes a difference but so far not (temperature still not going up by more than a few degrees from the boiler) but will monitor it today (as I am working directly above the boiler I can hear when it comes on)

Thanks
Colin

Reply to Automatic bypass query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have read that an Auto Bypass Valve (ABV) is not compatible with a pump set to Proportional Pressure (PP) mode. I have a recently fitted...
Replies
Views
Hi If the radiator valves are not demanding much heat and are near closed then the automatic bypass should be cutting in. I have a few queries...
Replies
Views
Hi I have an Evohome which maintains the set temperature and so when it powers the boiler most of the radiator valves are closed with one or two...
Replies
Views
Dear Sirs, I was wondering if someone could possibly inform me of the correct setting for my Altecnic Eres automatic bypass valve...
Replies
Views
Hello all I hope you are well. This is my first Post here so..... I recently had a Vaillant ecoTec Sustain (Combi) installed under the ECO...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock