Discuss Ariston Protech tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaisyBoyd

I'm hoping someone may be able to offer some advice on our hot water tank.

A liitle back ground - last Tues, 13th March, I came home from work to find the lower floor of our house totally flooded. Quick look around and I find one of the pipes on a radiator had blown off.
we've had this happen once before and a quick stop at Plumbase and we had it fixed (easy job as non-plumbers here!!)

Tried to do the same thing this time however had issues as the olive for the fitting was no longer available.

That however is the minor issue. We have now been informed that the copper coil in our Ariston Protech tank has failed and we need a new tank.

We are trying to get some of this covered by our insurance company but they are saying if it is wear and tear it wouldn't be covered.

So I'm asking the experts - I know without seeing it, it will be difficult to say, but in your opinion, at 8 years old, would this be wear and tear or a fault / one off failure?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks, Daisy

Hello DaisyBoyd,
what exactly is the problem with the coil? what type - hard/soft water do you have?
whats the connection with the radiator and cylinder???
olive not available??

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply.

Sadly I'm going to be quite vague in my reply, as I say we are not plumbers and can only go by what we've been told.

I don't know what is wrong with the coil. We cannot shut the water off so we have no heating but have running water through the taps. As soon as you turn the water back on at the stopcock the pressure guage in the airing cupboard goes from 1 to 3.5 and rising. when the heating was working this was running at 2. Also the water coming out of the taps is a horrible rusty colour.

I think the connection between the radiator and the cylinder is to do with the pressure as mentioned above.

we are being told the olive for the connctor pipe is no longer available however this isn't now an issue as we've replaced the radiator thermostat.

Not sure what type of water we have. It's not soft but I wouldn't say its particularly hard as we dont get limescale on the taps or anything.

Thanks again, Daisy

Hi SimonG!

When we called Ariston we were told it would have come with a 20 year guarantee (if we had been having it serviced through the fitter) Would they guarantee something if after 8 years something like this happens? Typically when we brought the house we were not told that little bit of info on the guarantee!!

Hi SimonG!

When we called Ariston we were told it would have come with a 20 year guarantee (if we had been having it serviced through the fitter) Would they guarantee something if after 8 years something like this happens? Typically when we brought the house we were not told that little bit of info on the guarantee!!

Gaurantees, warranties and insurances are only as good as the small print and they will do everything to wriggle out of it. If one of the conditions is an annual service and it hasn't been done then they will just walk away.

But from what you have said to SimonF it maybe worth your while to get somebody in to have a look as it might not be as serious as you think.

Whereabouts in the country are you? There might be somebody on here close enough.

We had a guy come out to us today and he said the cylinder needs replacing however quoted a hell of a lot more than he originally did on the phone.

We live in Daventry in Northamptonshire.
We've been trying to get a plumber for a week now. Everyone is either on holiday or booked up for weeks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ariston Protech tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock