Search the forum,

Discuss Aqua boards in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

baldyb220

Hi guys,

Just recently gone self employed plumber after 2 and a half years of working with someone as an apprentice. My hand was forced to go self employed so I'm still learning loads as I go along. I'm managing to get a bit of work each week too so I'm ticking along ok as it is at the moment. I just wanted to ask a question about aqua boards for showers.

Can you fit them over tiles? Only asking as the customer doesn't want to spend money on removing and making walls good as on a budget. I've never done it myself before but just checking if it can be done?

Any help or advice with this would be great.

Thanks

i would say no cant you build a false wall out ? only would need about 2 1/4 inches max

With a shower they need to spend some money and you need to tell them where. Strip back and fit the boards. Not worth the hassle of receiving the old 'theres water coming through the ceiling' call.

Hi mate, no unfortunately very little room at all plus theres the added cost of materials for it. She doesn't want to spend much as its a small bathroom for her boys as she has a main one that needs doing and thats where all the attention and money is going. I'm doing what I can quote wise to get what she wants its proving difficult

Just remember who will get the pointy finger when it all goes breasts up. Always tend to get shafted when trying to help somebody out.

If she hasn't the money to do it properly, should it be done at all? I think you are on a very steep learning curve, one that we have all been on. Advise her it cant be done. Is keeping the old tiles an option?

Showers are always the one's that seem to cause problems. You have to start from a position of strength. Point out the potential problems and if the customer is aderment that she wants to go ahead. Ask her to sign a disclaimer.
Best of luck
Don't offer discounts, it doesn't work at tesco.

Cheers guys I think I might look at totally changing the plan and see if I can build a false wall and get a smaller tray instead of a quadrant with enclosure.

if your going to the trouble of building a false wall, why not strip back the original as it will cost the same!

My advise to you young man is to walk smartly away from any " we just want a cheap job because......." Jobs. Either do it properly or don't do it at all. When it fails it will always be your fault and it will be your reputation knackered and you labelled as a bodge it and scarper merchant.
The minimum you should get it a written and signed instruction from the customer to bodge it. You should also be aware that your public liability insurance will not cover you if you do not carry out "best practice". You should also check to ensure you are covered for the work you are undertaking. Don't assume you are, typical general plumbers insurance does not always cover construction.

You have got insurance????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Aqua boards in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock