Discuss apprentice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chismax

Hi All

My names Rob im nearlly 18 and currently taking a Plumbers course at college.
I have written to 100 employers in the Exeter area hoping to get the chance of a apprenticeship and whilst i have had some great replys,it seems no one is taking on at the moment.
I am determined to persue a career in the plumbing industry,but not sure where to go from here any advice from the experienced would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

P.S and of course if theres anyone out there taking on i would appreiciate the opportunity to prove myself to you

Hi Rob,

Smaller company's aren't interested in trainees these days for several reasons being,

1, how much it costs us to have you as a trainee,
2, once quailfied - you leave to pursue your own business,
3, to few jobs and to many newly qualified peeps under cutting,

the list goes on and on!

Good luck with it though!! LOL

thanks for the reply was half expecting what you would say and i agree,although i am going to keep trying,in the mean time will have to get some other kind of work prepared to do anything just to get experience thanks again

dont think anyone is seriously worried that someone they train up will go into competition with them, think its more to do with the hassle of looking after them for 4 years

Seeking an apprenticeship is a worthwhile pursuit in my opinion. Leading to a secure and well paid future. However the schemes have not changed to fit the new financial climate. As a student at university you would expect to finish a degree with debts of say 20k. However the wages paid to those in apprenticeships do not reflect this. Having trained a few people, i know to do this properly takes up a couple of hours a day of my time, coupled with the trainees wages does not add up to good business. I feel the apprentice should now be prepared to be work for small money and look for support from family during this training period. This statment is supported by a large number of 25 to 30 year olds that wish they had followed this route at a younger age and were now reaping the benefits.

Hi All

My names Rob im nearlly 18 and currently taking a Plumbers course at college.
I have written to 100 employers in the Exeter area hoping to get the chance of a apprenticeship and whilst i have had some great replys,it seems no one is taking on at the moment.
I am determined to persue a career in the plumbing industry,but not sure where to go from here any advice from the experienced would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

P.S and of course if theres anyone out there taking on i would appreiciate the opportunity to prove myself to you

your right not to give up! plenty of young kids in same boat, those with the drive will...eventually get there! it sounds mad but it's the old, 'not what yer know but, who yer know'. Keep plugging, and keep yer ears pricked up, particularly in social circles, you never know!

'not what yer know but, who yer know'.

This is very true imo. Every apprentice i have ever had has been taken on because i knew someone who asked at the right time. |In fact every plumber i know with the exception of 1 got a start through someone they knew. Big companies are much the same too. If you know someone you are halfway there and just need to impress. Councils etc are different but if you know someone you will have a better shout. I found myself a job when i started by walking into the local plumbers yard and asking if i could get a start. He asked who i was and where i lived, looked at me for a bit, took a sip of his tea and said "be here for 7.45 on monday." Right time, right place, but he knew my dad and that probably helped.

It will be hard for you if you don't know anyone but if you plug along and show a bit of determination you may be lucky.

whilst i understand what you are saying and believe that employers should be supported more financially when training a apprentice,my brother has just finished a apprenticeship and worked hard for over 40 hours a week for very little pay he was glad to do so to get the training but would have found it impossible if he needed to rely on my mum to pay for everything tools living expenses etc.i believe if this were to happen then we would all be at uni instead of training to be plumbers mechanic etc. i dont want to go to uni i want to be a plumber and yes im prepared to work hard and for very little money to become one. we all choose a different path in life and if it was going to cost my mum as much to get me trained as a plumber as to go to uni what choice do you think she would make and maybe in years to come there would be loads of ex uni students with no jobs and no tradesmen to be found.I know it takes time out of a employers day to train someone but the apprentices are also there to labour and do the simple time consuming tasks that in itself should free up some time for the employer so they can concentrate on what needs to be done and to pass on there knowledge should be something to be proud of. I am sorry if i sound off but i am passionate about this dont write us apprentices off yet i am just a young person who wants to work and i dont want to give up on my career choice but it seems that may be done for me

Try firms that hold big maintenence contracts with local councils. Usually somewhere in the terms of their contract is that they must take on a set number of apprentices every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to apprentice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock