Discuss Apprentice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

As above really. Try and get some hands on experience for more than just a day or two. Its a big career change and it will be a significant drop in money too for the first couple of years at least so you need to make sure you are going to enjoy it.

In the current climate stick with your current job (if you've been nursing for last 18 months) I think I'd want a change too. If you're really serious go to your local FE/HE college and see if they have a plumbing starter/taster course. Without meaning to be patronising sometimes these colleges hold evening DIY courses for women that include basic plumbing skills and just see if you enjoy and or you have any aptitude for it.

I think this is a great trade to be in. It is vast and there are many avenues you can take (even in one day).

The best thing is to try and get on with a company that does a variety of work in my opinion. You need a taster of as many aspects as you can get. e.g. some people love bathrooms but some go insane being trapped in a small room for 2 weeks. Make sure you aim toward the part that attracted you and keep your mind open to the rest.

I'm a electrician and came across this forum while looking up plumbing apprenticeships and information for my son. He's 15+ and wants to be a plumber. We have so many in the family who are electricians and I think thats why he wants to a plumber. I give him the same advice. Study the skill set required online and even happy to put him into a Tech college for a taster of what's required of him. This in my view is one of the best trades as well as electrical. We all have the best and worst in our jobs to deal with and this will not be any different for you. Finding an apprenticeship with a company would be my preference first. But anyone willing to put on a apprentice is precious.

Reply to Apprentice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock