Discuss Apprentice?? How?? Letter from God maybe.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

konimitsu

Just had a reply from the umpteenth application but this time instead of just being sent on spec it was for an advertised apprentice plumber, so I think great an actual job, someone is looking for someone NOW....

So I get notified I have not even been shortlisted for an interview...great!!!!:mad:

I am 18 and have a full driving licence.:)

Passed my NVQ 2 Plumbing.:)

Passed my NVQ 2 Gas installation and maintenance.:)

Passed my ACS exams and Gas Safe registered. :D :cool:

Have a place on a course for 1 day per week from september doing NVQ 3 Gas installation and maintenance.:cool:

I have pretty much done everything possible since leaving school 2 years ago to get qualifications that will help me to get an apprenticeship in plumbing and I cannot even get to interview stage.

It seems that there are hundreds of applications for every job and even though most are just applying for 'any' job that comes along but once a company gets 250 letters how do you knwo yours has even been read and checked, maybe they are so inundated they do a lucky dip??????:confused:

If I don't get a job soon no dount the government will have me looking for a new training course to become an electrician...keep busy and off the unemployed figures for a couple of years.

But I get sick and tired of hearing people knock the lazy youngsters in our country....

How are you supposed to get a job :confused:

Just keep trying. (If it were easy, every body would be one) What part of the Country are you looking at?

Well I know it is tough and tough everywhere and every trade but about time the government or someone did somethinG to help out....if it were the banking industry they would be bailing them out....maybe they should start making holes everywhere and give all plumbers a little work, lol....

I am in Liverpool but able to work many areas around the northwest. Always punctual, not shy of work and just really want to learn and do the job right and become a tradesman. I thought as there was no response from hundreds of letters at 16 that the best thing to do was get qualified while I could and make it easier to get an apprenticeship but unfortunately until now it has not made any difference.

Everyone I have worked with gives me glowing references but they just do not have the work to be able to give me an apprenticeship. I have gained some good experience but need a proper job.

GIS A JOB........SOMEONE.....

Have you the backing to go self employed? Have you thought about it? By backing I mean funds and support from family, or girlfriend. Perhaps someone at your local business link can help out?

Backing is not purely finance. Perhaps you're not great at marketing but someone in your family might be.

I'm guessing you're around 19 years old. If you've thought about this route but not sure, don't be put off by your age. It only takes one or two oaps to mention to their friends that they've found this fantastic young plumber ... blah, blah, blah.

Also, if you're not too successful you should find yourself much more employable after say 6 months of trying and doing a few jobs off your own back and gaining experience.

Job hunting is exasperating, especially at the moment. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Hi and thanks for your reply...

To be honest I am thinkinga few years apprentice before I decide to go and do anything alone. I do not have the experience or ability yet to be able to a paid job for somebody.

I have limited practical experience, obviously I have done site work and hands on stuff to be able to get my NVQ's and since I have worked with a couple of plumbers on a few jobs but I am looking to become an apprentice and want to learn the job properly so to speak from a time served tradesman. You hear of so many horro stories of people not qualified botching jobs but not me. Although I am gas safe etc I did the ACS exams to make myself more employable and my courses etc so that a future employer does not need to pay for it.....I would say the qualifications give me the knowledge and grounding to be safe and work to standards but I have limited actual experience of doing and seeing through actual full jobs.

Just have to keep applying and hope that one day my cv gets seen by the right person at the right time.....:eek:

some one will want you, just keep trying.

shame all teenagers don't have the same commitment.

and i agree with you, you do need experience, to many out there with the same qualifications as you thinking they can do it all with out the experience...... it will end in tears.

Eco

Your attitude is spot on mate. Keep up the effort.
the market isnt strong so theres little about, if you know some good plumbers cant you advertise for work yourself? you can always say no if its out of your limits, pass it on to a plumber and let them take the biggest slice on the condition you do it under their guidence.

or get some work in a merchants, youll be dealing with plumbers face to face daily and it`ll be easier to approach them as trade picks up. Not what you wanted but youll be earning and learning and youll soon notice which plumbers are busy and may need an apprentice.

I hope your luck improves, but dont take it to heart , as said theres little work out there at present but it`ll change. :)

I reckon a letter from poseidon might be more appropriate;)

You sound TOO qualified to be doing an apprenticeship
Try going for a job as a qualified plumber maybe

You sound TOO qualified to be doing an apprenticeship
Try going for a job as a qualified plumber maybe

I have not long turned 18, I have done all the qualifications I have been able to and my ACS but my experience is limited. To pass the NVQ's etc we must do so much on site work but it is limited and we may go and do certain parts of jobs rather than the full job from start to finish.

I think it is good what we learn but for me if it is to be done right you need to be with a time served plumber and I want to be a time served plumber rather than a qualified jobber (respectfully said) and safety and competence are paramount before I look for paid work and do jobs for the public. I am safe, I always will be but I woudl not say I was competent and I really want to learn the job the right way.

At 18 I have a long life ahead and I am determined I will get a start from somewhere but I am 100% looking for an apprenticeship and not a job as a qualified plumber......not yet...

Thanks for some great advice and the words of encouragement guys I appreciate it.

Jordan

Hope I'm not being patronising but it's quite something to find an 18 year old who can spell and write proper English!!

It might be worth keeping a list of the names and addresses of those you're writing to at the moment and perhaps write again in a few months when some of the companies might be feeling rather more optimistic about the future. One day things will get better ... we hope ... it will ... honest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Apprentice?? How?? Letter from God maybe.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock