Search the forum,

Discuss Anyone familiar with Grundfos UPA15-90N Domestic Booster pumps? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bro had a couple of these fitted last year to boost the hot and cold gravity flows in his flat. They were chosen to be a gentle boost as they add a very useful 0.5 to 0.75 extra bar (to a gravity system which is barely 0.2 bar), and are very quiet in use.

They worked a treat, although the cold one would sometimes be unreliable in firing up automatically, but when they did work they gave a great shower.

A few days ago a burst water mains in the street meant loss of mains water for a day, so the CWS tank ran dry. The 'cold' Grundfos responded by burning up... Searingly hot, and nasty electrical burning smell.

Bro called plumber out who was not familiar with these pumps but looked up the install instructions; they have both been fitted incorrectly. They must pump upwards, so whatever the pipe run, they must be fitted where there's an upwards vertical pipe. They also need to be fitted where there's a min 2m 'head'.

The cold, however, was fitted almost immediately out of the CWS and was pumping downwards. The hot was marginally better as it was fitted low to the flat's floor, but it too was fitted on the vertical downwards-flowing hot outlet from the cylinder.

This explained why the cold pump kept on running when it was dry - the flow switch was likely affected by gravity.

Ok, the question! Currently there is no single point on either the hot or cold supplies which are flowing upwards where the pumps can be fitted correctly. The only places are where the individual pipes come up from the floor to the actual taps, but that would require 6 pumps so clearly ain't going to happen!

The only solution I can think of - but is not ideal on a gravity-fed system - is to have the hot and cold supplies coming down to the floor before being swept-bend horizontally along the floor a short distance before then being s-b upwards where the pumps can be fitted before then s-b back down below the floor and off to the bathrooms; ie this would allow the fitting of the pumps on the upwards part of an upside-down 'U' shape of pipework.

If there's any mileage in this idea, then an auto air vent at the top of each 'loop' would probably make sense?

Is this crazy? Is there any other solution that would allow the use of these pumps - he doesn't want a more powerful pump that would almost certainly be noisier (thinking more of the flat below).

Thanks.

do you know what his mains water pressure and flow rate are ?

Hi Shaun.

Many thanks for your reply.

Not actually measured, but it's very poor - I'd estimate around 5lpm and well under 1 bar pressure. The kitchen sink is a 'fast trickle' at best and the CWS takes ages to refill.

Since these Grundfos pumps have the requirement of needing to pump 'upwards' which isn't possible without adding a stupid pipe 'loop', our thoughts now are to simply replace them with 'normal' positive-head pumps which can then be sat on the floor of the airing cupboard without any of that extra pipework.

The pumps will be used to increase both the hot and cold to everything in the flat (except the kitchen cold, of course) including toilet cisterns and the bath shower. Would it be a better option to therefore fit two separate pumps - H&C - or are 'twins' ok? (I have a natural preference for separate myself)?

And could you recommend suitable models? They don't need to be particularly 'powerful' at all - he doesn't want that 'whoooosh' whenever a tap is opened - and what is of prime importance is that it's as quiet as possible and free of vibration (doesn't want it to be a nuisance for the flat below). The wee Grundfos (adding only 0.5 to 0.75bar) was actually superb in its role - it gave a great shower and was very quiet, but sadly needs this 'pumping upwards' arrangement.

So, looking for something that's around 1 bar tops, and certainly nothing dramatically over this.

Thanks.

(We are also exploring changing the gravity system completely and going for a mains booster pump with storage cylinder, like the S-T Flomate MBF-200, and this would then supply a new unvented hot cylinder (or a new combi boiler). That would certainly be the ideal solution, but bro is worried about the cost. I'll be starting a new thread on this and would welcome your thoughts.)

TBH that's what I was thinking (upgrading to either a comb or unvented) might be best to phone the water board up and ask them what are you suppose to be getting pressure and flow

Thanks Shaun.

Yes, we have discounted reusing the Grundfos pumps as an option now due to them needing to pump upwards.

That leaves two options - boost the mains flow to refill the CWS more quickly, and then fit a couple of 'normal' domestic booster pumps to assist the hot and cold flow, or go for the big solution of an unvented system - a pressurised storage tank with mains pump, supplying an unvented hot cylinder. One is obviously more expensive than the other!

Can't boost the water main to the cwsc much max is 1.5 bar and 12lpm

Yes, but that would be fine to refill the CWS; it would be at least twice as good as our current mains supply!

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Anyone familiar with Grundfos UPA15-90N Domestic Booster pumps? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock