Discuss Anybody just do small jobs? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I am rapidly falling out of love with the bigger jobs (boiler changes etc) and was wondering if anybody makes a decent living self employed just doing the smaller jobs like servicing tap washers breakdowns etc.

Is it possible? What can I do with my installs? As I dont want to lose my customers so dont just want to chuck my prices sky high and scare them off. Getting someone else to do them for me is running a risk of losing my customers to them.

I do loads of small jobs , prefer them as less hassle and home early .
Usually leave the house later as well .

Can make a decent wage some days however unfortunately you can't 100 percent turn down boilers swaps and bathrooms .

If you fail a boiler they will usually expect a quote from you.

Bathrooms are not so bad as you can pair up with a chippy and share the donkey work

I do loads of small jobs , prefer them as less hassle and home early .
Usually leave the house later as well .

Can make a decent wage some days however unfortunately you can't 100 percent turn down boilers swaps and bathrooms .

If you fail a boiler they will usually expect a quote from you.

Bathrooms are not so bad as you can pair up with a chippy and share the donkey work

I dont get a huge amount of bathrooms as I struggle like mad to get other trades so I literally say I will only do the plumbing. So I lose most of those.

Boiler swaps though are a bit tricky as you say. Its boiler swaps though that are the hard bit as people charge sweet fa for them so it's a difficult thing to try and get them at a decent price.

Put it like this most weeks I have an hour half for dinner which includes pub lunch.

Then leave to do job in afternoon about 2 ish .
Then after that home .

I have been quieter tho last 3 months which when you do small jobs it seems to notice it more

Yeah I'm quite happy doing 4 services a day leave home 8:30-9 have a surf or go home and see my mrs and daughter for lunch then a job or 2 in the afternoon rather than slogging my guts out all day for not much more.

The only downside of it is like i said it can go quiet at times where as bigger jobs pull the hours in.

Mind you the most important tool when doing small jobs is the garden chair in back of the van. Ideal when the suns out get the chair out hour snooze and back to work with a tan

Little jobs on the whole take a lot more organising IMO , picking up parts , texts / calls trying to pin a customer down to a time etc .
The retired ones and the parents on the school runs are a right pain .

Little jobs on the whole take a lot more organising IMO , picking up parts , texts / calls trying to pin a customer down to a time etc .
The retired ones and the parents on the school runs are a right pain .

But they are worth it. But that is what I have done most my working life and the odd phone call isn't too bad.

Reply to Anybody just do small jobs? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock