Search the forum,

Discuss Any problems for a steel pipe with brass cap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CluedDown

Hi, I'm new on the forum, hope someone will be able to help.

I moved into a house with natural gas, which is now only used for central heating. However in the kitchen there's a pipe (steel, I think; I'm pretty sure) which I guess used to serve a gas cooker (no longer there). This pipe has been capped off with a threaded brass cap. I don't suspect a leak, but I am a bit concerned about the steel/brass junction.

Is there any specific risk of corrosion from using these two metals together or is that combination safe?

Thanks in anticipation,

CluedDown.

I doubt strongly that there will be a problem but if in any doubt I'd get a GS engineer out who will test and alter as applicable

There's no risk at all of the different metals reacting with each other. Steel/brass joints are extremely common and widely respected.

steel and brass is ok but galv and copper is a no no

Agreed, because of the catalytic reaction.

But you can use brass as a transitional joint.

Gas doesn't have that effect on fittings your'e fine.Normally it's only if water's going through the pipe and you won't find expensive galv on gas in a domestic property.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gas doesn't have that effect on fittings your'e fine.Normally it's only if water's going through the pipe and not many folk use galv on gas in a domestic property.

wrong they just need to be in contact

How many galv pipes have you seen in domestic, Bearing in mind steel was usually lcs donkeys years ago. and how many domestic galv pipes have you seen directly connected to copper.

How many galv pipes have you seen in domestic, Bearing in mind steel was usually lcs donkeys years ago. and how many domestic galv pipes have you seen directly connected to copper.

you wont they would be connected via a brass fitting, unless you want to thread copper

I don't disagree Shaun. To the op. this post has gone on a tangent. what youve got is fine. Galvanized steel is only used when exposed to the elements or water. in your house it will be normal steel and the bayonet fitting that used to be there was brass. dunna worry. :)

Just woke up to find so many helpful replies. Thank you, one and all, I feel reassured. Plus the different angles were all interesting. The pipe isn't galvanised, but now it has been mentioned, I think it was probably a long, lost memory of problems between galvanised pipe and copper that subconsciously prompted my original unease.

Thanks again!

without water there will be very little reaction between the two metals not enough to be a problem within your lifetime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Any problems for a steel pipe with brass cap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock