Search the forum,

Discuss Any advice appreciated in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Dear Friends

A customer has a bungalow. Solid walls, 20yrs ago had some subsidence, all fixed.

On his lounge wall (internal wall) there is damp, the wall is damp to touch & going black. The wall isn't an external one, it runs through middle of lounge.

There's no rad on this wall. On the other side is a rad & basin but the joints are dry as is the floor & no damp on that side wall.

I'm of the opinion the there may be a pipe under the floor leaking.

I've been in the loft & all dry. Can't see any leaks, wetness or damp.

Any thoughts? He's a disabled chap with ms & is wheelchair bound. His place is slowly going into disrepair, he's a hoarder & his brain isn't working properly so as things go wrong he doesn't fix it until things are bad! His kitchen flat roof leaked & it wasn't fixed until last Nov - 2 yrs after leak so ceiling is blacked, holes etc.

I tell him straight where things are concerned and he accepts things. I've told him this needs sorting before things get worse & room starts to smell.

Cheers all

Ok, thx Phil.

I didn't think of that. As he's in a wheelchair he's got Lino floors & taking the floor up will probably destroy some of it.

Thx again for your reply

check outside first, guttering and high mound soil pile.
then get out inspection camera

Last edited by a moderator:
how does the patch spread out? Floor upwards? probably supply could be waste; ceiling down
then a look in loft like you did.Is the patch there all the time, more plumbing side, or changes with weather, more roof or gutter.

my ( humble ) money is on a small leak from a supply pipe. Has someone gone through a pipe with a flooring nail in the room without the rad & basin. I had one which had seeped for few years , the nail was plugging it's own hole( almost). Seems like the gent has got someone
conciencous batting for him.

Solid floor? If so how far away to buried services? Is the said wall cross or run parallel to a direct route from any services to the outside wall?

Id try a damp meter... Draw a grid on thevwall and take readings. You notice highest readings in area of leak source. Then use a multitool to cut through lino and bords to have a nose. Lino cut bigger can then be stuck back down safely. Odd question i know, but can you hear anything if all is proper quiet?

The damp wall has floor boards going into kitchen it's solid

I'll speak to chap tomorrow & give him advice/choices

Thx all

Keep us up to speed rocket.....should be more people in this world like you.....regards Turnpin:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Any advice appreciated in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My plumber fitted a shower, 2 of the walls are glass panels and one is a tile board (wedi board). He joint the wedi board pieces (3 pieces) close to each other but didn't use any joint sealant. When I asked him whether this will be an issue for future leaks he dismissed it. How worried should I...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm currently working on a job for a customer. their radiators are not all heating up. in total there is 12 radiators. 4 of these are on 15mm pipework, the rest are on 10mm. its powered by a Grundfos ups3 pump. the boiler is an 18kw heat only boiler. There are two radiators mainly...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady upstairs had a plumber in July who relocated her washbasin shower and fitted a new radiator.He caused a bad leak and came to fix it in august and I thought...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock