Discuss Am I being dumb or is this a thing? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I’m not a heating engineer but I’m fairly knowledgeable on the way systems work. But I have come across an issue which I’m wondering is common.

Earlier this year I had a fully licensed engineer install a new baxi combi in a property I’m doing some work on. Great job done without any problems.

Last week the owner mentioned that the shower (which is a aqualisa with a conversion box fitted to work with the new combi boiler) wasn’t getting hot.

I thought it was “user error” but having spent some time their today I cannot get it to run hot. I thought it might be the conversion box from aqualisa but the other shower which is a standard mixer unit is the same.

When I investigated further, I can get hot water out of the sink taps but as soon as I put the bath on full, the hot water drops to “quite hot”. The actual temperature that the boiler shows is 60 degrees when the sink taps are on but only 51 when the bath or shower taps are fully on.

It would seem that the boiler isn’t strong enough to heat a large enough volume of water to feed the bath or shower if the water temperature coming in from outside is too cold. And with current outdoor temperatures about freezing, this is a problem.

Or as I said, am I being dumb?

Is the box rated for high pressure/ combi system ?

Bath taps are full bore especially if there older style and they won’t get 60 dc hot water out due to need a 40 kw plus boiler

What’s the kw of the boiler now ?

It heats the house fine and before this spell of cold weather the hot water was fine too it seems that the system struggles to heat up very cold incoming mains pressure water and push it through at a high temperature.

Is this a common thing?

Reply to Am I being dumb or is this a thing? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a 2 pump hot water tank (Flomax 180L fitted in '94) in airing cupboard system with an Ideal classic boiler (downstairs next to an external...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a ferroli falcon 2 boiler (yes it is pretty old). A few days ago the hot water started going hot and cold when running. Monitoring...
Replies
Views
I recently had an eco tec plus 836 combi installed as part of an oil to gas conversion. One thing I can’t work out is why the bathroom sink hot...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock