Search the forum,

Discuss Alternative filter advice please in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I had my boiler replaced recently and a filter was added to the system (Adey Prof2). The filter was positioned in the return pipe above the boiler. The filter makes a running water noise which is worst if the hot water circuit is on. (Y valve installation). Central heating circuit only is much quieter. This has driven me and the plumber mad trying to stop it. Today we removed the filter and replaced it with a small pipe. The noise stopped! So, can any one recommend a filter that will work properly in a vertical pipe where the water runs DOWN through it? Clearly the Adey was not a good choice. Thanks.

Is it the small one ?

Is it the small one ?
No its the big one.Proffesional 2.
[automerge]1601586017[/automerge]
Fernox omega is my choice . Kop
Thanks for reply. I did consider this one but the fitting into the pipes has a cast in arrow pointing upwards. Have you fitted one successfully where the water flows downwards?
[automerge]1601586166[/automerge]
Trappex Centramag 2.
Thanks for reply. I will look into that one.

Last edited:
You’ve bled the filter ?

No its the big one.Proffesional 2.
[automerge]1601586017[/automerge]

Thanks for reply. I did consider this one but the fitting into the pipes has a cast in arrow pointing upwards. Have you fitted one successfully where the water flows downwards?
[automerge]1601586166[/automerge]

Thanks for reply. I will look into that one.
The omega as with all filters is made to fit flow or return the arrow is just that it can point up down or left right

Like @ShaunCorbs, I think you have some air in the filter and the noise will stop once you've bled it and, if necessary, topped up using the filling loop. May need to do it a couple of times at progressively longer intervals as the new metal in the system forms its 'passivating layer' and any trapped air gradually moves around the system.

I would agree with the chaps above you still have air trapped in the system, refilling the system once work has been carried out introduces oxygenated water this can be trouble some to remove is there a air bleed point at the cylinder high point ?? as below , and you need a good quality inhibitor added it is normal to have the mag filter on the return to the boiler and it actually works best that way adey mag pro is a large unit and in all honesty there are other neater options. Regards kop

Attachments

• 20170907_091404.jpg
    20170907_091404.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 10
You’ve bled the filter ?
Hi, Yes the system has been bled to death over the last two months. The removal of the filter was last resort and it worked, without any bleeding! The Adey instructions insinuate that it can be fitted any direction but the inards are obviously best suited to upward flow.

Hi, Yes the system has been bled to death over the last two months. The removal of the filter was last resort and it worked, without any bleeding! The Adey instructions insinuate that it can be fitted any direction but the inards are obviously best suited to upward flow.

did you actually air the pro 2 ? And that’s strange as I’ve got hundreds of them installed and never heard the noise on the big ones

did you actually air the pro 2 ? And that’s strange as I’ve got hundreds of them installed and never heard the noise on the big ones
Hi, Yes the filter has been bled many times. The cylinder circuit has a new self bleed valve which was temporarily shut off in case it was faulty but that made no difference either. The system is open type. I think personally that the filter internals just work better in one direction and with hot water only circuit the flow is quicker than with the central heating is on which results in this annoying water noise. Putting the pump on slowest speed helped a little but hasn't stopped it. I stress that I am no expert, hence the cry for advice. The plumber who fitted it has not come across the problem before in a lifetime of plumbing either!

You sure the flow and return connections are correct onto the boiler ?? and not crossed . Kop
Yes I am sure. Heating works fine. For the record boiler is a Worcester 30R. Greenstar. To recap, all is quiet without the filter and I want to replace it with a different one that is ok with the flow from above.The inner filter part of the Adey has very different ends which cannot possibly act the same if the flow is reversed. Regards. DC

Yes I am sure. Heating works fine. For the record boiler is a Worcester 30R. Greenstar. To recap, all is quiet without the filter and I want to replace it with a different one that is ok with the flow from above.The inner filter part of the Adey has very different ends which cannot possibly act the same if the flow is reversed. Regards. DC
Post a picture of what you have please ?? Somethings not right here . Kop

Post a picture of what you have please ?? Somethings not right here . Kop
Here is picture of installation which was fitted end of June. Obviously now the filter is replaced by small length of pipe. Thanks for your continued interest! Dont be fooled by the pipe configuration as they do cross behind the boiler as old boiler had the return on left against new one on right. D C
P1050530.JPG

Reply to Alternative filter advice please in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock