Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Alpha 240P - Hot Water Intermittent Fault in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

slyfox

Hi,

I’ve had along running problem that re-occurs with Hot water on my alpha 240p.Basically turn tap on, boiler flue neon flickers/clicking, burners trying to fire up and fan increasing speed then cutting out, try's again. Sometimes it will fire up ok or eventually, other times you have to leave it for 10 minutes then try again and it will work eventually). It’s a re-occurring problem that’s just reared its head again. I call the Heating Engineer out and he takes the sealed chamber out and cleans the positive and negative pressure points leading into the flue (other end leading to air pressure switch) and that seems to fix it for say 4months then it happens again. Maybe it’s a seal failing somewhere that’s borderline and cleaning those points fixes it for a while, who knows. Last couple of days the same symptoms have started and the pressure has gone up above green area slightly, twice in 2 days so have bled a rad each time to pull it down, which helps boiler HW fire up, coincidence I don't know. I will have to call the engineer in again and he will probably do the same as before(disassemble and clean pressure points leading to flu from air flow switch) and it will keep us going for another say 4months. It’s just putting a Plaster on it.
Other symptoms that have always been there for years include a slight water leak below the Diverter valve assy. Sometimes I have to charge with water to bring the needle into green gauge area. Also one of the radiators makes a noise when hot water comes on; maybe this valve is faulty aswell?
Anyway I’d like a more permanent diagnosis/fix if possible, any ideas would be appreciated or maybe it’s time for a new boiler.
Thanks in advance.

Could be one of four items, get your engineer back or another who knows Alphas!

Firstly your boiler is getting on a bit but that's not to say a decent engineer would probably be able to rectify most of your issues and give you a few more years of use.
Can't go into detail but most of your issues sound run of mill fixes....not saying it is all straight forward though and may cost a few quid in parts and labour.
Source a good engineer and go through your issues you have documented above.

Ok, thanks guys, engineer looking at it this afternoon.

Looking at replacing it soon. Any recomendations, worster bosch looks favourite, so many models to choose from. I'm thinking bigger something with a better hot water flow rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Alpha 240P - Hot Water Intermittent Fault in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock