Search the forum,

Discuss Algae or something in header - pic included in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M7R

About a year ago I changed a lot of rads, flushed water through the system (is open vent style) then refilled and inc fernox f1 in the system,

i have been struggling with what feels like the last rad on the system which is the big on in the hall silting up, so I have got a couple of bottles of sentinel x800 to do a couple of flushes... Removed the lagging from the header tank, took the lid off to find this!!!!

08661173-9B84-4FEA-8519-19A240A9F434-2760-0000022CCF095C5E_zps47ca1fbd.jpg

WTF do I do with that!! It looks like the monster from the swap and may jump out and kill me!!! Can I just dump in something to brake it down? As I don't fancy trying to clean it all out as the tanks not that easy to get to! I could do with some ideas pretty quick as I hoped to sort the heating this weekend if removing the big hall rad with a mate for a flush.

cheers
karl

Last edited by a moderator:
Try forwarding pic to David Attenborough or Brian Cox, could life forms new to science in there dude :lol:.
Seriously, I usually just get the marigolds on & get stuck in there. Dirty job but someone's gotta do it

Try forwarding pic to David Attenborough or Brian Cox, could life forms new to science in there dude :lol:.
Seriously, I usually just get the marigolds on & get stuck in there. Dirty job but someone's gotta do it

Hmm I was hoping to avoid that...jobs not that easy, and lack of time... I was hoping there was something I could just pour in the tank to kill it off, then flush through... Wishful thinking I know....

Im a bit peeved though as last week we did my mates system... Header was murky with rusty bit but no mould, and his systems not been done for years!!!! Yet mine was clear a year ago and I even added about 1/4 bottle of f1 to the header once the system was filled to try and stop this!!!

what would folks reccomend once the system is clean?

Unlikely to be mould or algea, more likely to be bacterial. If you did kill it off with something (penscilin!?), you'd still have to remove it manually, it won't just disappear

Unlikely to be mould or algea, more likely to be bacterial. If you did kill it off with something (penscilin!?), you'd still have to remove it manually, it won't just disappear
isnt mould and algae a bacteria ? put bleach in the tank

Get stuck in there, if you can take a picture of it you can get access to clean it.
You don't want to pull that through the system.
Hand in eyes closed.

HI Guys,
I work for a company and some of our products have water containers which over time can develop algae within the water tank.. We advise for the customers experiencing this problem to full up the water tanks with this solution 50ml of Milton Sterilising solution to 10L of water, leave in for 24 hours then flush through, drain and rinse with clean water.. this brings it off and kills the algae.. not sure if it will work for your problem but Milton is rather cheap and possibly worth a try?
Maybe worth getting a small fish tank net (about £2 from fish shop) and scoop out the majority with that before you go dosing it with Milton

My plan was to net it out the best I can, I can sort of get access, but I have to move boards around and very careful and due to the thickness of the lagging I can't see where the rafters are..

we have loads if mitons in the house as we have just had our first child a month ago... I have sod all to lose so tomorrow ill net out what I can, then Milton, and sat me and my mate will just hammer the system the best we can.... Fingers crossed!

:iagree:, I would try the wet vac,
then clean it out with a bleach solution, fill and flush out.

if the space is limited to get in with the wet vac,
you could always use a piece of hose and suck it out, but this would not be the best option.:ack2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Algae or something in header - pic included in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock