Discuss Airiing Cupboard Blues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
As I've never had the opportunity to help install (or see designed) a traditional system boiler/cylinder plumbing set-up, some airing cupboards leave me scratching my head.

1. When the boiler is housed next to cylinder and the return rises up from ground level and T's into the cylinder coil tapping as it passes, wouldn't that unintentionally heat the cylinder even when hot water wasn't being called for?

2. When you see a pipe T'd off the flow from the boiler before it passes through the pump and divertor valve, what is this likely to be for? Since it would get hot no matter what you were calling for....I'm guessing often a bathroom rad? Or could it be something else?

3. If the flow has a bleed valve at it's highest point which has been replaced with a cap is this simply because the lazy plumber didn't want to get a replacement valve and all he had was a cap? Or could there be a good reason?

4. Do even experienced guys like some of you sometimes look in an airing cupboard and think...I have no idea what half of this is doing or where it's going...?

1. Depends on valve arrangement , but if divertor valve is on heating only there will be no flow through the coil
2. Combined feed and vent
3. We sometimes use a cap , easy to bleed and usefull for chemical additions
4.No LOL its usually easy to sort, trace the pipes

As I've never had the opportunity to help install (or see designed) a traditional system boiler/cylinder plumbing set-up, some airing cupboards leave me scratching my head.

lIt all comes with experience

1. When the boiler is housed next to cylinder and the return rises up from ground level and T's into the cylinder coil tapping as it passes, wouldn't that unintentionally heat the cylinder even when hot water wasn't being called for?

Yes a gravity system, however you may see a valve fitted to this with a thermostatic head to provide an interlock

2. When you see a pipe T'd off the flow from the boiler before it passes through the pump and divertor valve, what is this likely to be for? Since it would get hot no matter what you were calling for....I'm guessing often a bathroom rad?Or could it be something else?

One or two pipes between boiler and pump on the flow are feed and expansion pipes or single pipe combinded feed and expansion.

3. If the flow has a bleed valve at it's highest point which has been replaced with a cap is this simply because the lazy plumber didn't want to get a replacement valve and all he had was a cap? Or could there be a good reason?

If a compression cap fitted it can still be vented just loosen and retighten

4. Do even experienced guys like some of you sometimes look in an airing cupboard and think...I have no idea what half of this is doing or where it's going...?

Not very often

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Airiing Cupboard Blues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock