Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss advice please chaps... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
20130902_110125.jpg

This is a tiny little cylinder in a square insulation box. Size is 34inch x 18inch direct cylinder. The emmersion has gone. Now, this needs to be drained down before you can take it out. And as it has been in for 30yrs, and that I have never removed an element on an old cylinder without breaking the cylinder, what should I do?

Would a supplier mind if I got a cylinder on standby? Do they make them this small still as there is no option for a bigger cylinder.

Any suggestions appreciated:)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378119385.574232.jpg
Can't remember who came up with this on the forum but I saved the pic.
Would this work

He's drilled out a wedge then just crushes it in on itself with grips

Size is 34inch x 18inch direct cylinder.

Would a supplier mind if I got a cylinder on standby? Do they make them this small still as there is no option for a bigger cylinder.

They don't make them that size as standard, so it would be a special order. To be honest, we would have one made for you, but not "just in case" - once its ordered, its yours.

I think that most merchants would take a similar view on a custom built cylinder.

Sorry to be negative.

Thought that was the case ray. Thanks

Looks like I am going to have to drill it out. Scary

I have seen that post also kyle. Think he used a hacksaw and a drill. There is even some guy on here who swears that he has never failed to remove one. Am sure he said heat but, I have tried and it hasn't worked for me:-(

Iv never failed to remove an immersion just using a couple tips. You probably know, but just Incase- Don't drain the cylinder much, drain it just enough to go below the immersion. Helps keep the strength in the cylinder a bit. I also heat the immersion with a blow lamp a bit. Heat will free anything iv found.

But on this cylinder jimbob, the emmersion is at the bottom. So I guess I will have to give it a twist before draining.

If still solid after all attempts, put on immersion spanner then get sds or impact driver and push down on lever of spanner with drill on hammer only or impact with socket tool on. Vibrations shake bejesus out of crudd in threads and out it pops.

I've always found smacking a good immersion spanner with a lump hammer works most of the time but I like Ermintrudes suggestion. Sounds like another use for the vibraclean.

I like ermintudes suggestion too. I have one of the immersion box spanners with bar which isn't really the best. As the bar has bent trying to remove element. What tool do you guys use

ha ha so funny
Why freezing does opposite of heating and then quick cool . If you think if you try freezing it it will shrink and then could be easyer to remove .....
I have to change 27" immersion next week part of the boiler change and will try the freezing it and will let you all know !
Will make sure local plumbers shop has a cylinder same size available before work begin. :) lol

throw the box spanner in the bin and get the cranked cast one loosen the imersion before you drain down break any plastic bits of and give a good warm up with the blowlamp attach spanner and a sharp tap with the club hammer in 40 years ive split one using this method and that was realy old and corroded been leaking for ages dont warm the cylinder just the brass immersion part it will soften the boss white thats holding it
the box spanners tend to twist downwards rather than turn and its that that splits the cylinders

No, sorry two flats or I was thinking about welding two flats on to a 4" cone down to 1" socket drive . Then a ratchet???

Well chaps, I finally got the immersion out. Not sure what technic worked bit tried all of the above, apart from hammer drill method as could not get drill in space.

Was a proper mission though. Drain off totally seized up. Then could not get a spanner or grips in to hot supply nut on top of cylinder due to lack of space. So cut hot feed and thoughy I'd feed hose through. Hose would not go past elbow on top of cylinder. Really could have done with the rubber hose you get. Like manometer hose.

Luckily it had a blanking cap for secondary return so cracked open and sucked out with vac until I could take right out and put hose in there and syphon. While draining, was using immersion spanner and hammer. Tap bang tap bang and nothing.

Then, when emptied, used heat and tried to tap bang tap bang. Again nothing

Then I got the drill out and peperred inside of heater. Got multi tool out and started cutting bits hear there and every where.

Then 3hrs later, put box spanner on and give it a good strain and I get a little movement...YESSSSSSS Relief. No damage to cylinder, no damage to my pride

throw the box spanner in the bin and get the cranked cast one loosen the imersion before you drain down break any plastic bits of and give a good warm up with the blowlamp attach spanner and a sharp tap with the club hammer in 40 years ive split one using this method and that was realy old and corroded been leaking for ages dont warm the cylinder just the brass immersion part it will soften the boss white thats holding it
the box spanners tend to twist downwards rather than turn and its that that splits the cylinders

This is very true. Was difficult to get it to sit on heater straight. Kept slipping off and twisting. But some how I got there in the end. Saved the old lass a few quids not damaging it. Other I would have had to get one made. But then again, I was not cheap!

Well chaps, I finally got the immersion out. Not sure what technic worked bit tried all of the above, apart from hammer drill method as could not get drill in space.

Was a proper mission though. Drain off totally seized up. Then could not get a spanner or grips in to hot supply nut on top of cylinder due to lack of space. So cut hot feed and thoughy I'd feed hose through. Hose would not go past elbow on top of cylinder. Really could have done with the rubber hose you get. Like manometer hose.

Luckily it had a blanking cap for secondary return so cracked open and sucked out with vac until I could take right out and put hose in there and syphon. While draining, was using immersion spanner and hammer. Tap bang tap bang and nothing.

Then, when emptied, used heat and tried to tap bang tap bang. Again nothing

Then I got the drill out and peperred inside of heater. Got multi tool out and started cutting bits hear there and every where.

Then 3hrs later, put box spanner on and give it a good strain and I get a little movement...YESSSSSSS Relief. No damage to cylinder, no damage to my pride
And 3 Hrs Labour at London rates + parts , nice little earner.

Inhale through teeth and shake head, scratch arse and then double whatever you can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to advice please chaps... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock