Discuss Advice on taking on a labourer. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

leek

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
The title pretty much sums it up, but A friend of mine has just retired young (ish) from the forces and is looking for ways to top up his income. He has got a job for 2 days a week using the skills he already has (something to do with planes!) but I was thinking he would be the ideal person to help me out when I'm busy on an ad hoc basis.

I guess what I'm most unsure of I what to offer to pay him. I would expect him basically to do labouring, maybe pick up materials and just generally help out. I think though he would be worth more than a labourer, he can do basic electrics, some straightforward plumbing, and has done tiling etc. More than anything I suppose I do trust him, and he is articulate and presentable so feel I could quite happily have him in a customers house without worrying every time he opened his mouth (had issues with this in the past, swear some of the guys I have had work with/for me had a few genes missing) so the big issue is what would be a fair day rate? We are south east based so expect things are a bit higher here, would £100 a day for labouring/non skilled work be insulting?

Thoughts would be great. Thanks all.

Very fair rate in my opinion....but then he seems to have a lot going for him ...regards Turnpin:biggrin:

Thanks Turpin, see your Essex so imagine rates here would be similar to you. Had a quick google to see what labourers would earn in the nearest towns and it seems to be £8/9 per hour so hopefully I'm not a million miles out. It's that balance of trying to keep down what I have to pay out, yet being fair and not insulting.

That's way more than I would pay for a labourer, around here it's £40/£60 for just labouring
You say he can tile etc, if you could leave him finishing off jobs while you are starting another, then he may be worth it
Are you talking cash in hand or on the books, big difference if you've got to stump up £200/£300 cash every week

Johnny, I reckon I could leave him, obviously will have to see how things go. I think round here labourers get a fair bit more than they do near you, however I'm just not sure how much more. Would def do it through the books which will mean I will have to get extra insurance so there will be costs there too.

Quite a lot to think about but I have been thinking about getting someone to help me for a while and just so few that I trust enough to just turn up and be decent human beings. I have a younger brother who is a plumber, and you would think in a ideal world he could work with me, but we just don't see eye to eye. Life is never straightforward eh?

The title pretty much sums it up, but A friend of mine has just retired young (ish) from the forces and is looking for ways to top up his income. He has got a job for 2 days a week using the skills he already has (something to do with planes!) but I was thinking he would be the ideal person to help me out when I'm busy on an ad hoc basis.

I guess what I'm most unsure of I what to offer to pay him. I would expect him basically to do labouring, maybe pick up materials and just generally help out. I think though he would be worth more than a labourer, he can do basic electrics, some straightforward plumbing, and has done tiling etc. More than anything I suppose I do trust him, and he is articulate and presentable so feel I could quite happily have him in a customers house without worrying every time he opened his mouth (had issues with this in the past, swear some of the guys I have had work with/for me had a few genes missing) so the big issue is what would be a fair day rate? We are south east based so expect things are a bit higher here, would £100 a day for labouring/non skilled work be insulting?

Thoughts would be great. Thanks all.
Before tax= fair
After tax = fairer
In the hand= excellent + make the effort of a cuppa tea from the cafe
That's a great rate mate..

You need to look at how much money he can make you. At the end of the day you dont take jobs on that pay little because you need to be paid for bothering and all the hastle of quotes, ordering, invoices, communication. Same for hiring, dont bother unless you can make money on top otherwise you will loose a friend. You have to teach him and manage him and unless you make more money than you did before you'l be regretting hiring him.

Ive been stuck with one guy who was too afraid to leave me alone and barely made money on me and that drove a wedge between us making me leave in the end. Now I work for a guy who lets me do boilers start to finish, hes laughing the amount of money he makes from me.

I would definitely, well worth it.. and as an experienced plumber.. you should be fair to yourself and try for two labourers at £50 a say each..

I'll work for you on £100 a day :D

Mee to.! And do a good job quite happily Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on taking on a labourer. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock