Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on press fit tools in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All
Looking to purchase a press fit tool and considering many brands. I don’t do a lot of pipe work, so don’t need a heavy duty one. Hot works are becoming a thing of the past.
Any recommendations?

Thanks Shaun, that’s one of my options. I will only be working on copper up to 28mm. The kit with 15, 22 & 28mm jaws seems. Good option. Do I buy new or used????

I would go new

You can rent them cheap enough for the first couple to see if you like before you buy etc

Try using it on site first. I had a job specified as fully pressfit in an old house in floors and ceilings and for the first week was cursing like hell as I thought it was awful.

I still think its awful but no where near as bad after 3weeks, after using it on possibly the worst situation for it you can get a feel of how useful it will be. It is by no means quicker than soldering unless you have tons of space.

I was borrowing a rems with the angled jaws for the tight stuff, angled jaws are a must and not all brands make them so choose wisely.

I will say straight away I don't personally do repair work (have others to do that) install only.
I haven't done any hot work in customers properly for over 4 years
Would agree angled jaws a necessity.
When you really get used to pressing it is fast especially when pipe sizes get bigger.
Press fit looks lovely in a well laid out plant room.

I will say straight away I don't personally do repair work (have others to do that) install only.
I haven't done any hot work in customers properly for over 4 years
Would agree angled jaws a necessity.
When you really get used to pressing it is fast especially when pipe sizes get bigger.
Press fit looks lovely in a well laid out plant room.
Thanks for the advice. The types of repairs will mainly be domestic work. When I have seen press fit on exposed pipe work in buildings, always looks neat. Going off the replies, looks like I am going to have to invest in a tool and a set of the angled jaws.

As a plumber these days you need one.
I could not operate without one.

It almost standard kit these days to have one.

If you use the tool on a job, make an allowance / charge on the jobs you use it and pay for the tool that way.
Or just double the price of the fittings you use - it will pay for itself rather soon that way.

You're probably right but when I think about where I would use it I've got these issues

• Airing cupboards - Bulky fittings would be hard to use in tight spaces and make it a pain in the arse for future maintenance because you can't un-sweat stuff.
  • Maintenance work- This would be good to avoid soldering wet pipes but could I live with my self having odd press fit fittings amongst soldered fittings? The answer is no, I would be ashamed.
  • Kitchen sinks- Way too bulky and would look awful
  • First fix new builds/renovations - most pipework is concealed and is cheaper and easier to use plastic, on the odd occasion customer doesn't want plastic then the selling point of soldered fittings lasting 50 years is more attractive than press fit. Then you have issues with notching copper into joists and not enough depth with the massive fittings you need and space to get the gun in.
  • Gas pipes externally- Would look awful because the fittings are massive
  • More stock to keep in the van and bring in on jobs
The only positives I can see are
  • Flow rates are better if you're on the limit, even more so for gas usage
  • Boiler/ plant rooms look good with it but they have a lot more space to operate in.
  • Gas pipes in roof spaces to avoid having to solder
  • Secondary returns
  • Good for commercial when the aesthetic isn't as much of a concern and hot work permits
For my work I can't see how I would earn more using one and the costs for it would take ages to recoup. A lot of my work is sold to the customer as soldered copper as its tried and tested and will last longer than they are in the house. If they didn't want that then push fit is much cheaper and quicker which is probably what the customer is after.

We've switched over to Press Fit for a few years and it has many benefits. There's still the odd occasion where I will solder but for ease generally the press fit is first choice.
All out 1st fix is done in MLCP 16/20 and 25mm. It uses a U jaw fitting but is as easy to install as push fit but looks way better and appears to be more reliable as it's never failed, to date! Ha
I've got the Rothenberger Compact tool as it was on a deal at time with fittings, I find it way lighter than the lads REMS tools and does the job no problem, obviously everyone will have their own opinions on brands etc.
Fittings are more expensive, similar though to push fit, but if bought in bulk they aren't too bad and just need to make sure the cost is covered when invoicing.
Definitely worth considering if you do a lot pipework.

Reply to Advice on press fit tools in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock