Discuss Advice on oil boiler thermostats in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I've got a problem with an oil boiler overheating the water, I have a solution and if anybody has any relevant advice, I'd be obliged.

I have a Firebird 90S oil boiler, which was installed about 10yrs ago. It has a Cordice 542788 thermostat fitted, which has a range of 60-90c apparently. The water temperature tops out at 68c when the thermostat is on its lowest setting so either it is not working properly or there is too much leeway in the manufacturers settings.

The problem is that the hot water has damaged the shower pump. The easiest fix being a new thermostat which actually works and a better range.

I have found this on eBay which looks like it might do the job:

I've then had a look at the manufactures and found that the only one that they supply is for a hot water cylinder, although it looks like you can buy copper pockets for it, which I understand to be sensors on wires rather than a ridged spike that goes into the cylinder.

I have contacted Firebird who are of the opinion that the wiring is compatible, I'm just awaiting a reply from the eBay supplier to confirm the length and diameter of the pockets to ensure that they will fit into the boiler.

The industry standard for boilers appears to be 60c< and the for shower pumps its 60c> so there is a very fine line of tolerance. I do understand that stored water should be around 60c to prevent Andy bacteria forming. I'm guessing that Thermostats are juts not very accurate, so having a wider range of operation is surely an advantage to overcome this.

Many thanks in advance,

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_9346.JPG
    IMG_9346.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9347.JPG
    IMG_9347.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9348.JPG
    IMG_9348.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9349.JPG
    IMG_9349.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9350.JPG
    IMG_9350.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9351.JPG
    IMG_9351.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9352.JPG
    IMG_9352.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9353.JPG
    IMG_9353.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 14
I've got a problem with an oil boiler overheating the water, I have a solution and if anybody has any relevant advice, I'd be obliged.

I have a Firebird 90S oil boiler, which was installed about 10yrs ago. It has a Cordice 542788 thermostat fitted, which has a range of 60-90c apparently. The water temperature tops out at 68c when the thermostat is on its lowest setting so either it is not working properly or there is too much leeway in the manufacturers settings.

The problem is that the hot water has damaged the shower pump. The easiest fix being a new thermostat which actually works and a better range.

I have found this on eBay which looks like it might do the job:

I've then had a look at the manufactures and found that the only one that they supply is for a hot water cylinder, although it looks like you can buy copper pockets for it, which I understand to be sensors on wires rather than a ridged spike that goes into the cylinder.

I have contacted Firebird who are of the opinion that the wiring is compatible, I'm just awaiting a reply from the eBay supplier to confirm the length and diameter of the pockets to ensure that they will fit into the boiler.

The industry standard for boilers appears to be 60c< and the for shower pumps its 60c> so there is a very fine line of tolerance. I do understand that stored water should be around 60c to prevent Andy bacteria forming. I'm guessing that Thermostats are juts not very accurate, so having a wider range of operation is surely an advantage to overcome this.

Many thanks in advance,

Steve

I have one of those boilers (15 years) as well with a Imit boiler stat, its range is 65C/85C and is very accurate, I generally run my boiler at 70C but I have a motorized valve/cylinder stat on the HW cylinder set to 60C, you seem to be running your cylinder uncontrolled so this is why you have to control its temp with the boiler stat?, it's still a bit surprising though that the pump is damaged by 65/68C hot water temperatures as the manufacturers are well aware that the temperature must be > 60C for legionella protection.

I have one of those boilers (15 years) as well with a Imit boiler stat, its range is 65C/85C and is very accurate, I generally run my boiler at 70C but I have a motorized valve/cylinder stat on the HW cylinder set to 60C, you seem to be running your cylinder uncontrolled so this is why you have to control its temp with the boiler stat?, it's still a bit surprising though that the pump is damaged by 65/68C hot water temperatures as the manufacturers are well aware that the temperature must be > 60C for legionella protection.

Pump manufacturers specify water must be below 65C. Anything above that distorts the impellors. Seen it a few times.

Cant see why pump manufacturers cant design for hotter temps.

The cylinder is quite old with no separate thermostat for boiler heated water sadly.

I take your point about the shower pumps failing with such a small margin, very frustrating!!

It may be that my stat is working within the parameters that it should e.g. +/- 10%, however the shower pumps appear to have much finer tolerances. To that end, my thinking is get a stat that has a far greater range above and below 60c then I should stand a better chance of actually achieving the correct temperature.
[automerge]1586868532[/automerge]
Pump manufacturers specify water must be below 65C. Anything above that distorts the impellors. Seen it a few times.

Cant see why pump manufacturers cant design for hotter temps.

I can see a market for boiler manufacturers to make shower pumps that work with their kit!!!!
[automerge]1586868704[/automerge]
Google imit stat, phials should fit in sleave ok. Can always pack out with thermal paste.

The Imit Stat is pretty much ident with what I've got. If the lowest setting is 60c and there is some leeway in the setting, then the water could got higher and I would be in the same position. If I get the Reliance unit, it affords more temperature control unto and around 60c.

You need independent thermostatic control of heating and hot water. As above before looking to replace the dual stats at the boiler look into a fully pumped system, or at least a c plan

I think you're going to be disappointed with that high limit stat clipped to the boiler flow. Depends how quick it is to react. May be okay if if has a mercury phial.

I once tried to govern a boiler, that had a very high hysterisis internal thermostat, using the Honeywell pipe stat (which was a basic bimetallic cylinder stat which clips to a pipe). The problem was that the boiler raised the water temperature faster than the Honeywell stat could react. So the boiler would overshoot before the stat became aware of it. If it set the Honeywell stat lower, it would prevent overheating, but then the boiler had to run almost stone cold before the stat would allow it to refire. Eventually it turned out that the boiler internal thermostat, thought to be obsolete, was available, and replacement solved the problem.

I would agree with others that the solution would be to fit a thermostat to your water cylinder and convert to fully-pumped. It'll be of the cheap and nasty bimetallic strip design, no doubt, but the quantity of water involved means that the stat will have time to gauge the temperature. You'll find a cylinder stat may not be especially accurate to the marked settings, but once you have got the setting where you want it to be, it should be surprisingly consistent.

Would one of these TapStats (I think they are called) be a cheap(er) option if the HW temperature is the only concern, these connect directly via the strapped on cylinder stat to a valve fitted in the cylinder coil and have no other (electrical or otherwise) requirements. Drayton controls make them.

Attachments

• TapStat control.pdf
    161.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Reply to Advice on oil boiler thermostats in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Can you help me determine if my new Navien lcb700 lsx is working as expected? I got the Navien oil boiler installed to replaced an old...
Replies
Views
J
I have a new Grant Vortex 15/26 oil boiler installed. It has a boiler thermostat with no numerical information, just a wedge graphic and covers...
Replies
Views
My apologies as this question has probably been asked loads of times. We moved into a new house in Jan which has an oil boiler, the room that...
Replies
Views
P
Hi This is a mix question both pluming and oil boiler so which forum to put it in .. Let’s try this one…… My oil boiler heats my hot water and...
Replies
Views
Hi This is my first post, having just joined the forum, so I hope I'm not breaching any etiquette with a request for general advice. We live...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock