Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on cutting 50mm waste pipe in situ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SPB

Hi, I need to mend a leak in a 50mm waste pipe. Unfortunately the pipe runs at a height of about 8-10 feet and is positioned tight against brick wall. You can get to it by ladder but I don't want to (pull it away from wall) put too much stress on it whilst cutting/adding new piece via straight coupler. Can anyone suggest the best way to cut it in situ? There's no room for hacksaw. I was thinking about plastic pipe cutters, but can't imagine any doing the job, especially not in my price bracket?! Any thoughts?

use a hacksaw blade removed from the hacksaw, dont be scared of pulling the pipe about a bit, undo a couple of the clips to give yourself a bit more play, make a slip socket up your self if its push fit.

make a slip socket up your self if its push fit.

file out the stop

You know me, allways smiling.
its tru tho' wrap thin nylon or poly prop string (about 3mm best) round both fists and place round back of pipe pull tight and go back and forth.
will cut 50mm with the right string in about 15 secs using friction.

here you go check this out.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0GvqLFC32o[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
You learn something new everyday!

Thanks for that one. Never know when it might come in handy.

Brilliant idea!
I have recently used a wire saw for almost exactly this purpose... Similar to the string idea but so quick!
I picked mine up from an Army surpluss store for about £1.50, it's done about 10 cuts now and looks good as new :)

Check it out here...works a treat

[video=youtube;I0GvqLFC32o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0GvqLFC32o[/video]

that is a brill idea, truly ingenious and perhaps handy too if your arm is trapped in rocks for many hours on end, beats using a hikers knife to set you free

The Nylon string trick works a ummmmm trick, saw it on you tube a few years back and been passing it off as my idea, until now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on cutting 50mm waste pipe in situ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock