Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on central heating. Best boiler for the Job. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Henryparsnip

Hi,

Iv'e recently moved to Finland with my partner and was horrified to see the outdated boiler that she had in our home. Its an oil electric combination boiler from the 80s, a Jaspi Eco.

Anyway its recently packed up working on the oil side so its been running on electric and its costing us a fortune. Last year our bi- monthly electric bills during winter were €650+. We simply can not afford that again this year so I'm wondering if somebody could suggest a boiler that would suit our needs.

Our criteria for the boiler is as follows,

Our budget is very small, if its too expensive then we will be using the open fire and wood this winter, so between €500 and the very very most €1000. Basically I'm hoping for the best bang per buck yet we don't want to have to upgrade/replace again in the foreseeable future.

We already have the pipes and radiators in place for water and heating.

It must be electric as the Finnish haven't heard of gas yet :p

The house is 100 sq meters with 6 radiators

The boiler will be mounted down stairs in the basement.

Mounting /space is not an issue.

It gets very cold here -26c deg.

Finland is not overflowing with choices so if possible could you please recommend alternatives also.
------------------------------

Anything else you need to know please let me know, I will be on regularly to check the thread.

And Finally....Thank you very much for any help you can offer, I really dont want to go thought last years scenario again.

Cheers,
Henry.

Hi Henry

I'm not sure we would be much help I'm afraid, are their no local installers that can recommend a solution?

Over here an heatrae Sadia Amptech would be a fairly cheap option for the heating and hot water but you would need an indirect cylinder as an add on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the reply. All I was hoping for was a cheap, reliable, efficient boiler that can cope with hot water and central heating. I was hoping to find some info on this forum as I cant speak the language , dont know anybody I could ask, dont know the first place to go to buy a boiler and live in the middle of nowhere. So pretty screwed. Sure, I could get the answers somehow but Im just worried about receiving bad advice, buying one and being ripped off with a poor make/brand/model. A bit like going to the car salesroom and being talked into buying Lada. Also 99% of all things are cheaper to get delivered via an Ebay/Amazon purchase as its very expensive here.

Unfortunately you will very very rarely get something that ticks those three boxes for obvious reasons ie cheap, reliable and efficient. Usually things are cheap for a reason. Difficulty with eBay/Amazon is that if you supply it then you are not going to get much in the way of an installers guarantee nor should you expect one. Any faults will be your problem. I would be more tempted to see if you can communicate with a few plumbers over there. Google translate would at least allow you too apologise for your poor grasp on the language but ask a few questions about price etc

Last edited:
Are you just assuming your boiler isn't worth fixing because you feel it's too old or have you been told it is beyond economic repair?

Jaspi are a very reputable company that still produce a version of your boiler so why don't you look into getting it fixed? Electrically heating any place as you've discovered is economically crackers (irrespective of boiler efficiency)and besides Norway is a major oil exporter and with the oil/heating oil price as low as it has been in years you'd be silly to ignore it as a fuel source.

Last edited:
If you cannot speak the lingo, surely your partner can. Can you not tell her what exactly you need and hope she is a good 'go between'? Any advice from this end counts for nothing if it doesn't resolve the issues you have. BTW, as you say you may get ripped off, are you hoping to fit the boiler yourself? Hope you get it sorted before the winter sets

Hi Henry

I'm not sure we would be much help I'm afraid, are their no local installers that can recommend a solution?

Over here an heatrae Sadia Amptech would be a fairly cheap option for the heating and hot water but you would need an indirect cylinder as an add on.

NO it wouldn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on central heating. Best boiler for the Job. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
R
Hello its my 1st post hope im in the right place We brought a new house a medium-large 3 bedroom semi, we moved in the summer. Now coming to winter we started putting the central heating on. The central heating has a mind of its on it’s really strange iv never experienced this We put the heating...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had an electric boiler which heated all the radiators just fine, but around a few years ago i had a gas one fitted and the radiators in the living and...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock