Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on a good middle of the range Cordless Drill/Combination in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I am seeking advice on a good mid range cordless drill/ combination light weight, ease of use and handling, as well as being powerful and robust enough for most jobs. My budget is around the £350 mark. I have used the 18v and above at College, and have found them to be to heavy and ***bersome to use. Also i am still trying to get my head around some of the technical jargon and feature's of some of the drills. Any advice or links to any good deals would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks & Best regards
Staceyxxx

What do you want to drill?
if its a hammer drill then 350 will net you a hammer drill, impact driver, two batteries and a charger.

decent ones will be heavier due to better buildquality
newer brushless are powerful but lighter.

unless you mean an sds for masonry drilling?

Take a look at Milwaukee Fuel 18volt combi drill. The Fuel range are brushless & lighter/smaller but more powerful & last longer on each charge & they have longer lifespan.
The impact driver & combi drill with 4ah batteries are around £430 Inc vat.
An 18volt SDS drill might be also handy if you drill a lot of holes for raw plugs.

Hi. I am seeking advice on a good mid range cordless drill/ combination light weight, ease of use and handling, as well as being powerful and robust enough for most jobs. My budget is around the £350 mark. I have used the 18v and above at College, and have found them to be to heavy and ***bersome to use. Also i am still trying to get my head around some of the technical jargon and feature's of some of the drills. Any advice or links to any good deals would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks & Best regards
Staceyxxx

first i think you need to decide what you want the tool/s you buy to do. Its not worth jumping into buying a expensive tool to later realise its not suitable for your needs.

for cordless drivers/combi drills you have a few types to consider. Amost every manufacturer has a range that has a sub compact 10.8v for light duty work, compact for med duty work and full sized drill for heavy duty work.

Some manufacturers then complicate things buy having tools between these lines, with different battery sizes and chemistry.

what you want as a min is :

all metal gearing
lithium ion batterys
1 hour charger or less
3 year warranty

as the batts, what your really looking at is the voltage and the capacity. the capacity is rated in milliampere/hour units, which indicates the batterys electrical charge. The higher the a/h the more work the battery will do per charge.

most makes now have 1.5-2 a/h batts as compact sizes and 3-4 a/h for standard sizes (although you can get as large as 6 a/h batts now).
So when your looking at a tool make sure the batterys are the ones you want before ordering.

for power you want to pay attention to the Max. torque of the tool. The higher the torque the more capable the tool will be for larger heavier work. Although not all manufacturers will use the exact same way of measuring torque its a good indication of its capabilities.
As a general idea :

30nm is good for a sub compact, and will be fine for screw driving small screws and drilling small holes.
60nm is good for a compact drill, and will be fine for screw driving small to large screws and drilling med sized holes.
90nm is good for a standard sized drill, and will be fine for driving most screws and drilling large holes and lots of med sized holes.

more nm normally means larger more powerful motor.

Every drill will have a rating of max capacity for drilling wood, metal and maybe brick. These are given as a guide to help you know what the drill is capable of. These figures are max sizes and the drill is not necessarily going to last that long if you us it at its max all the time.

the other thing to consider is brushless motors, tools with brushless motors work for longer on the same batts, run cooler, last longer etc....

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the advice & a big thanks to AWheating for kindly putting the very useful & helping information above. Will be checking out some drills over the week end.
Many thanks & best regards
Staceyxxx

Thank you guys for the advice & a big thanks to AWheating for kindly putting the very useful & helping information above. Will be checking out some drills over the week end.
Many thanks & best regards
Staceyxxx

Post up on what you decide on before you buy it so we can go yay or nay :)

also some of us are pretty handy at tool shopping...

Some of us a OCD about tool shopping arnt we electro billy! He is a right bargain hound tho !

[h=1]Milwaukee M12PP2A-402C M12 RED Lithium Ion FUEL Twin Pack This is the sort of tool pack i was looking at. It will only be for light work as i dont have that much strength due to a ongoing shoulder/arm injury! ( I struggle with the 18volt ). Do you think this will be any good, if not anything similar?. We went to a Milwaukee stockist, but was in total awe of the different size's/types of drills cordless and corded. We Picked up a Milwaukee 90th anniversary mag and are thinking of going to the Cambridge UK & Ireland truck Tour next month? Just wondered if it would be worth going and waiting to see if i could pick up a decent bargain there? or would they be trying to offload old stock!! any Advice greatly appreciated :). Thanks
Staceyxxx[/h]

that is a subcompact set, a very good one but only 10.8v tools. It would be ok for small holes (say 20-25mm in wood) and driving small to med screws with the impact. Is that what your looking to use it for? if its the only drills you want to get then id suggest an 18v set.

you may get a good deal at the road show, never been to one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links above have brought the MILWAUKEE Hd18ppa 2a
It will arrive on Monday. A family member has given me their Mikka anniversary compact twin pack.
So well happy now.
Thanks again guys
Staceyxxx

Lucky you! Enjoy and don't forget to register within 30days to make sure you get 3 years cover. Also if you break it always send it in! Keep batteries out of the cold van in winter nights!

Use the drill in low speed for most tasks including driving in screws. Less damage, screws screw in better and you don't ruin drill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on a good middle of the range Cordless Drill/Combination in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

hi all i need some help and advice i am tiling around 2 shower pipe fittings. as the measurements were intricate i was practicing on off cuts and trying to create a template. I've noticed when i drill holes into the tiles sometimes they would crack. i don't use any pressure or drill too fast...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I have had a few quotes and been given lots of differing advice, this always makes me wary, especially having suffered a history of poor quality work by...
Replies
Views
H
Hello, I'm just completing on a bungalow that needs everything doing to it, full replumb, kitchen, 2 bathrooms, underfloor heating, loft conversion, moving windows, knocking down walls. I will be doing everything except installing the new boiler and electrics. I have extensive DIY experience...
Replies
Views
Hi all Relatively new to install work having been heavily biased to boiler service and repair for the last 12 odd years. I have some powertools, which I've used for the odd install or upgrade, but am finding myself stuck, often, with what I currently have. So I'm after advice. I currently...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock