Currently reading:
advice needed - new boiler installation

Discuss advice needed - new boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jobo74

I recently had a kitchen extension done meaning I needed to re-site the boiler from its original position. The old boiler was around 18yrs old so decided to go for a new one.

I wanted to keep all the tanks so got a plumber out went through want I wanted and agreed on a price for fitting a new boiler and re piping as need to fit into the old system.

My expectation was that he would fit a system boiler, however he has fitted a bosch greenstar 24 junior combi boiler which he seems to have run as a system boiler i.e it heats the hot water in the tank.

Is this usual to do this? The installation was last june no real problems with and it works fine just seems like an odd thing to do. Also not had any building regs certs for the work (he is gas safe registered) chased him a number of times but seems uninterested/unwilling to provide

any advice welcomed

Have seen this done to heat a swimming pool, I seem to remember it worked but took a week the first time to heat to required temperature.

This is the problem, you get what you pay for. Oo he is £200 pound cheaper defo having him. They never learn. Get a cowboy job done and nil after care. Don't mean to be harsh. But the way I see it keep letting these monkeys install shoddy jobs. And eventually we will be flooded out again. Ride the storm. 23 years of installing and never left a job like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
paid 2k in the end, not just for boiler, there was aditional pipework from re sited gas meeter and new rads plus cooker install.....didn't pay him for 6 months though due to ongoing problems in airing cupboard ended up getting another plumber into sort it and docked this guys bill by £200!

Not nice way you speak of what you have done !
We always watch programs about bad tradesman but surely they should make one about people like you not paying for 6 monts ! And still wonder why the plumber have not will to register your boiler ! Tbh you should have started with your last post !

to clarify it was not my lack of will to pay him. Firstly he did not bill me for 3 months and secondly there were remedial works required which i asked him to resolve on several occasions. Finally i gave up chasing him and got someone else to do it then imediatly paid minus the additional cost to me.

Aditionaly he should have registered before even sending me the bill.

to clarify it was not my lack of will to pay him. Firstly he did not bill me for 3 months and secondly there were remedial works required which i asked him to resolve on several occasions. Finally i gave up chasing him and got someone else to do it then imediatly paid minus the additional cost to me.

Aditionaly he should have registered before even sending me the bill.

i personally dont register anything until i get paid so i disagree with that comment. out of interest what were the problems you had.

also what is the 15mm pipe with pushfit tee and elbow on and judging by the installation this must be why i keep getting undercut on quotes.

Last edited by a moderator:
it looks like the cold supply, does it have an internal filling loop ?

the problems in the airing cupboard were due to the hot water from the cylinder returning into the radiators, so rads heating when heating not on but hot water on. To solve it he fitted 2 non return valves howver they were the spring loaded kind and not suitable for CH systems. Result was a very high pitched buzzing noise transmitting round the system when the CH was on so the sound could be heard in most rooms.

When i first told in August he said to call him back in the winter when i was using the heating! when i told him again in october he came to have a look and told me the live with it.

I got another plumber to take a look who imediatly knew what to do and swaped out the spring non returns for a hinged one now works with no noise.

ps the 15mm with the plastic fittings is the flow out I belive

Can't quite get my head around this. Have heard of this done with changing to a sealed system but OP says the pressure reading is 0? And me thinks F and R may have been swapped hence rads heating up with hot water.

paid 2k in the end, not just for boiler, there was aditional pipework from re sited gas meeter and new rads plus cooker install.....didn't pay him for 6 months though due to ongoing problems in airing cupboard ended up getting another plumber into sort it and docked this guys bill by £200!

A general rule is last man to work on the system takes responsibility for everything, so by bringing in another plumber you absolved the first one of all responsibility especially since he paid the bill.

I have been trying to figure out why two NRV's were needed to start with but as its late reckon I'll leave that question for another day.

Reckon it might be an idea to get a good plumber to look over the system and maybe schedule upgrades (if needed).

I expect the NRVs were required due to an incorrectly piped cylinder return allowing reverse circulation to take place. The correct course of action would be to correctly pipe the return but they may not have been possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to advice needed - new boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back