Search the forum,

Discuss ACS test, what to expect.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Been going mad mad recently looking on forums for details on what to expect.

Ive got my first ACS exam next week, the ISA, and As you can expect I'm nervous!

Just wondering what to expect, especially on the practical side of things.

I have been been revising as much as possible over the past few weeks, regs, flues, ventilation, pipe sizing, gas controls, safety devices, AR, ID etc etc I've got 3 books I've been reading through, as well as a load of booklets I've found and printed off. I know it's mostly open book on the theory side and I believe with one test closed book. It's the practical part I'm worried about, I just don't know what to expect, I mean, I know about gas controls, how they work and how to test them, and the same with flame failure devices etc, and I Understand boiler sequences etc.

I just need to know what to expect in the centre?

Can any one give me any examples of what they have had to do in the past, regarding the practical side and fault finding?

I've been working unpaid for 2 companies for a year now, as they couldn't take me with a wage as no positions etc, so I've been on installs, including full rip outs and sometimes just combi swaps etc as well as going out with engineers who do breakdowns only, and then engineers who only do servicing, just so I could get the full scope of things. I know how to do flue flow tests and spillage tests, gas rates, purge volumes, tightness tests etc. But that isn't what I'm here to talk about, I'm just after examples of what you guys have done in the past in the ACS centre and any points you can give.

I also have a permanent paid position being held open for me if I pass, so no pressure !!

Thanks in advance!

They will not tell you on here that is for sure !
Just go do it it is a joke really as all the books are there anyone with half a brain can pass

I hope a few of the guys do help you out on here.
However, if you type: ACS into the search bar top right of the page you'll find loads of information from past posts.

its mainly open book so just cross reference everything and read the question I got marked down a few times for miss reading it!

Firstly..... RELAX!!!!

It's all open book bar a few questions on the theory. If you get stuck you can check the book.

You only have to do something in the practical once, don't kick the ar5e out of it. Bloke will see you are trying and have studied.

You'll be fine :santa3:

Got to agree with above, it's all common sense. Your practical will be to commission various appliances, MI's..... always look at MI's and follow them religiously.

OK thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate it!
Eased my mind a bit, having bloody sleepless nights, waking up at daft o'clock thinking I best read up on this n that haha driving me mad! Even concerned about what to wear ie PPE gear steelies etc or just normal clothes? An apprentice who has recently just done his ACS at the centre where im taking mine said it was just commissioning which I've done plenty of times on site, as someone said above, MI are the key.

Thanks again,

Andy :santa3:

I just replied with an essay but don't think it posted haha. Thanks for all the advice, eased my mind a bit! I know it's open book, do you use your own books or theirs and is there a limit on how many you can take in with you? :thinking:

Thanks again!!

Andy :santa3:

Just done my ACS for commercial today, and passed - yippe. Cannot go into detail as its sensitive and don't want to get blown out of Gas Safe before I even arrive. lol. However, don't under- estimate the theory, I am 52, with a reasonable command of English and I can say that the questions, on occasion, had me baffled by what the hell they were talking about. So my advice is read the question very carefully and slowly. As for the practical, if you are praticing in the field, you wont have a problem. If you are not looking at boilers and the like on at least a weekly basis, take your time and get to know the appliances and where all the controls are. Good Luck

Last edited:
Yes agree with re reading the questions it seems all question setters whether for ACS or C&G etc love finding the strangest way possible of asking a simple question ?
I remember there being a kick up amongst lecturers as C&G were asking gas questions in level 2 papers a subject that is not included .
They also seem to find the most obscure pictures for students to identify !
One that springs to mind is a gulley grab I bet hardly a plumber here has seen one let alone used one but this was a level 2 question even the lecturers had no idea about !
Bit like me asking locally for a ridge bucket recently not one merchant had a clue they thought I was taking the Micky !

Yes agree with re reading the questions it seems all question setters whether for ACS or C&G etc love finding the strangest way possible of asking a simple question ?
I remember there being a kick up amongst lecturers as C&G were asking gas questions in level 2 papers a subject that is not included .
They also seem to find the most obscure pictures for students to identify !
One that springs to mind is a gulley grab I bet hardly a plumber here has seen one let alone used one but this was a level 2 question even the lecturers had no idea about !
Bit like me asking locally for a ridge bucket recently not one merchant had a clue they thought I was taking the Micky !

Ok thanks mate I'll look out for them. C&G can be a bit mad with their questions, ice just had to do L3 plumbing NVQ which included an electrical exam, bare in mind I was a level 3 NVQ in gas utilisation, I rememebr one of the electrical exam questions was what's the maximum floor coverage for a 32a ring main... Why would I need to know this if I want to service boilers haha

Passed! Thanks for all the advice, was just a case of relaxing and taking my time. And the ridiculous amounts of revision I did paid off

Andy.

Well done Andy and welcome to the dark side, get registered with Gas Safe, get your post count upto 10 and pm Gasman your GS details then your in the GS only forum.

Passed! Thanks for all the advice, was just a case of relaxing and taking my time. And the ridiculous amounts of revision I did paid off

Andy.

Well done, now the real fun starts.

Stick around get in the gas safe only and you will learn a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ACS test, what to expect.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock