Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss ACS Practical Assessment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlumbersMate

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Finally got date for my ACS and to say I'm nervous is an understatement!

the thing that worries me the most is how do you know what safety devices are on a cooker for example? Do you lads know just by looking or do you have to have a good old rummage around first. This is worrying me the most. I know how to test them I just don't know them all just by looking at them if that makes sense?

thanks

Manufacturers instructions.

Glass hood ssov. (Few don't)

fSD &FFD

Viper book.

Chill winston. You only need the answers they give you.

Finally got date for my ACS and to say I'm nervous is an understatement!

the thing that worries me the most is how do you know what safety devices are on a cooker for example? Do you lads know just by looking or do you have to have a good old rummage around first. This is worrying me the most. I know how to test them I just don't know them all just by looking at them if that makes sense?

thanks

Look at the MI's, might sound simple but look a the parts list and see if it says thermocouple or FSD, usually I suggest you can't fix something unless you know how it's meant to work first, so understand what the oven does when you light it does it light on full flame meaning it's a thermo couple, if it lights on low flame then goes to full flame ISPs a liquid expansion valve, you must have covered controls in your training, go back over the notes, as many times as it takes to get it into your head, here's some scenario questions, based on a gas oven what control is likely to be faulty in the following scenarios, the oven is old and has a liquid expansion valve for safety and a mechanical stat for control, so the answer is either LEV or STAT is faulty
1) I go to the oven put the food in, after 20minutes the food is burnt to a crisp
2) I go to my oven and put the food in, after 20 minutes I go back and the food is raw and the oven stone cold
3) I go to the oven put the food in after 20 minutes I go back and the food it part cooked but there is a hint of heat in the oven but the oven is out

Look at the MI's, might sound simple but look a the parts list and see if it says thermocouple or FSD, usually I suggest you can't fix something unless you know how it's meant to work first, so understand what the oven does when you light it does it light on full flame meaning it's a thermo couple, if it lights on low flame then goes to full flame ISPs a liquid expansion valve, you must have covered controls in your training, go back over the notes, as many times as it takes to get it into your head, here's some scenario questions, based on a gas oven what control is likely to be faulty in the following scenarios, the oven is old and has a liquid expansion valve for safety and a mechanical stat for control, so the answer is either LEV or STAT is faulty
1) I go to the oven put the food in, after 20minutes the food is burnt to a crisp
2) I go to my oven and put the food in, after 20 minutes I go back and the food is raw and the oven stone cold
3) I go to the oven put the food in after 20 minutes I go back and the food it part cooked but there is a hint of heat in the oven but the oven is out

i would go
1) Stat
2)LEV
3)LEV

probably all wrong though

didnt realise they would list it in the MI's thanks

Look at books like the logic book , viper or even the corgi one they give you all the different examples of what vsafety devices and functionality, MIs although its amazing how many custards dont keep MIs for hobs n things and were in stone ages up here and only get wifi when in a house and have router code we dont get out n streets, (nightmare)

i would go
1) Stat
2)LEV
3)LEV

probably all wrong though

didnt realise they would list it in the MI's thanks

Your answers are correct, but during ACS You are asked to say whether it's working and if not, what could the cause be, which I didn't say, so fair enough, now have a stab at what wrong with the controls,
PS during ACS it isn't acceptable to say "it isn't working, cause it's broke"
This may or may not help, but when I'm doing this bit during training, I tell candidates to consider this scenario
I have two rads that aren't working, one is never on and one never goes off, both have TRV's, as above first question are the TRV's working? Answer to both is NO, however it isn't enough to tell me NO and new valves required (would solve it, but doesn't explain that you know what's wrong)
So rad that doesn't ever heat, TRV isn't working (valve could be stuck fully shut)
Rad that doesn't ever cool down, TRV isn't working (valve could have dirt or debris on the valve seating, or the pin could be broken/jammed) meaning it doesn't shut down
Apply this logic to your oven controls and it may help or make things worse haha

Your answers are correct, but during ACS You are asked to say whether it's working and if not, what could the cause be, which I didn't say, so fair enough, now have a stab at what wrong with the controls,
PS during ACS it isn't acceptable to say "it isn't working, cause it's broke"
This may or may not help, but when I'm doing this bit during training, I tell candidates to consider this scenario
I have two rads that aren't working, one is never on and one never goes off, both have TRV's, as above first question are the TRV's working? Answer to both is NO, however it isn't enough to tell me NO and new valves required (would solve it, but doesn't explain that you know what's wrong)
So rad that doesn't ever heat, TRV isn't working (valve could be stuck fully shut)
Rad that doesn't ever cool down, TRV isn't working (valve could have dirt or debris on the valve seating, or the pin could be broken/jammed) meaning it doesn't shut down
Apply this logic to your oven controls and it may help or make things worse haha

Thanks Kirk, appreciate your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ACS Practical Assessment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock