Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss ACS Practical Assessment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IK1

Hi all,

I have been studying for my ACS exams and going through mock exam papers, but one thing im not sure about is the ACS Practical Assessments.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on what to expect in the Practical Assessment please.

- How long does is the assessment?
- What kind of things will I be asked to do?
- Is it difficult?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I could do it for you for £500 in used notes plus lavish expenses!

Seriously though, if you are competent you will pass, if your not competent then you will have to study some more.

cooker, fire, boiler service/install, basic fault find (fsd etc) you will get scenario papers on ventilation, appliance locations ect, defects on appliances & flues you must identify NCS,AR,ID defects and follow correct procedure, identify riddor reportable defects. you will be shown parts and asked to identify them and what they do........after 4 days you wont want here the words spillage, tightness or ventillation again

Thanks for your detailed reply stokecity.

Will we be expected to do install as well as service all of the appliances? And when you say install do you mean a FULL boiler/cooker/fire install?

The parts that we have to identify, would that be safety devices or actual boiler parts like heat exchanger, expansion vessel etc?

Thanks for your help.

To be honest, if you are asking these questions then you are unprepared for the exam and possibly a danger to the general public.

the boilers will already be on wall and piped up, you will get a sheet of paper showing a few different examples of how its been installed you will have to pick the correct installation and identify the defects on the others. you will do full install on cooker fire.

on my ACS i was showed a gas valve, i had to name all the components that made the multifuntional valve and what they did.

Mountainman, not sure how asking questions about what to expect shows that I am not prepared and a possible danger to the public! I'm simply want to get an idea of what the process is so that I am organised and well prepared. Simples.

Stokecity, Thank you very much for another informative answer.

This has given me a good idea of what to expect.

They want to know your safe,so on practical they ask you to spot faults,dangerous situations.You may have to do tightness test and maybe a gas rate.Most of it is paper work so get swatting up

Mountainman, not sure how asking questions about what to expect shows that I am not prepared and a possible danger to the public! I'm simply want to get an idea of what the process is so that I am organised and well prepared. Simples.

Asking questions on a forum about a potentially hazardous subject is in my opinion an indication of insufficient knowledge of the subject material.
You cannot be completely organised and prepared for such a disparate subject, the fundamentals may be sufficient, or not.
Remember that you are playing with peoples lives out there, it's not a game.

The worst part of the assessment is the controls rig. You have to identify and fault find various controls that you may never see in the real world. Hopefully your training will have covered this aspect well.

The worst part of the assessment is the controls rig. You have to identify and fault find various controls that you may never see in the real world. Hopefully your training will have covered this aspect well.

controls and flue faults seem to be a big issue for some people

Actually I have to say I have seen people struggling with a basic flue flow and spillage testing when I've been in for assessment. Mainly guys that just fit new and don't do servicing and breakdown so probably don't see another open flue appliance until the next assessment.

Actually I have to say I have seen people struggling with a basic flue flow and spillage testing when I've been in for assessment. Mainly guys that just fit new and don't do servicing and breakdown so probably don't see another open flue appliance until the next assessment.

i would agree, i have had more than a few guys doing their spillage test and they say " the last time i did a spillage was 5yrs ago on that same fire"

Hi,

Just wanted to let you all know that I passed my CCN1 and appliances today! :)

Thanks for all your help and support through the process.

Hi,

Just wanted to let you all know that I passed my CCN1 and appliances today! :)

Thanks for all your help and support through the process.

did you do ALL CCN1 and appliances in one day?

thank god for that i thought we were entering the era of the super fast track even a week seems quick from scratch
just remember it only lasts 5 years after which the gs mind wipe will be applied

Last edited:
No.. Took over a week to get done!!

haha thats ok then, cause i was a bit worried if you did all of that in one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
taking too long is a lot better than doing them too quickly as that could mean you were pushed through an assessment

Asking questions on a forum about a potentially hazardous subject is in my opinion an indication of insufficient knowledge of the subject material.
You cannot be completely organised and prepared for such a disparate subject, the fundamentals may be sufficient, or not.
Remember that you are playing with peoples lives out there, it's not a game.
ha ha ha ! with great power comes great responsibility, really ? get over yourself man, he was just asking a question, this forum cracks me up sometimes .......

i have got my ACS exams in 10 days time, i am studying my books and notes, but i am concerned on the best way for me to study/prepare for the practical part of the exam, i am confident on doing let by,tightness, WP, gas rate etc. it is more to do with flues and controls, any suggestions on the best way to prepare. thanks

Lol only joking! You'll be fine, read your other posts in the other topic im commenting

lol, i had read your reply to my other post, where you were very helpful, thats why i thanked you for your help. although i now see how my 'thanks for your help' comment could be deemed as sarcastic. your comment actually made me laughed and broke my revision boredom

Yeah it sounded like you didnt like my comment of you failing lol just revise hard. When i sat my ACS 4 years ago i read the whole corgi book (yellow book) alot of it got logged in my mind. Majority of situations you do need to check with your books. Always remember MI is priority over any other!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ACS Practical Assessment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock