Search the forum,

Discuss A reluctant radiator in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

The "boiler" in our house is upstairs. When the weather turned cold again, I switched it from hot water only to heating and hot water. After an hour or so, I circled the house looking for issues, and found one. The radiator in the kitchen was not "hot" like the others. I'd seen this before, and removed the thermo valve with an Allen key, and manipulated the little pin with a pair of pliers - I'd done this several times in previous years on several radiators, normally this quickly resolves the problem. This year it did not. The radiator inlet pipe is slightly warm, I suspect this is thermal conduction through the pipework however. Looking for the "next step".

Assuming the lockshield end has not been closed.
Try closing all other rads, so the pump is just pushing through this one. Does it get hot?
If not it is probably time for a new valve.

Does the rad pipework just feed this rad? I assume from upstairs as you mention the boiler is there. If so, prob air locked.

Close one rad valve and crack the nut on the opposite valve and draw water out into a rubble sack until hot. To the same for opposite side. You’ll likely hear a load of air come out.

Reply to A reluctant radiator in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
Hoping for some advice as I seem to be hitting a brick wall. Moved into a house last year, radiators down strairs (4 of them) never really got warm, replaced the combi boiler this year as it was loud and leaking (its in the loft which has been converted into a room). Since turning the heating...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a Glow-worm gas boiler working in conjunction with a Boilermate 2000. The central heating pipework is microbore. In view of the age of the boiler and...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock