Currently reading:
A little advice?

Discuss A little advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dnash20

Hi all,
Im at a cross roads at the moment with my "plumbing career", not sure if i can call it that as ive not got a job at the moment, but basically i am after some advice. Ive completed my 6129 Tech Cert back in Dec 08 through OLCI training course, and have since then been trying to find a plumbers mate job as that is what was recommended to me at the time. Having had 0 luck with applying for this position mostly due to me not having or being able to get a CSCS card, (i have passed the H&S exam though) ive stumbled across JTL apprenticeship scheme. 4 yr course, both on/off job training and ill get my NVQ2+3 and key skill qualifications at the end of it.

Would u recommend me doing this in which case i need to find an employer to take me on as an apprentice or carry on searching for a plumbers mate job? Bare in mind that ive not had any chance to practise much plumbing since ive finished my course other than a few bits and bobs at home so i would say im abit rusty at best.

Im really desperate to get into the industry as i loved doing my course so any tips or advice you could give me i would really appreciate it. :)

Why don't you try the self employed route and have a go at some small jobs (stay in your depth though). That might give you an insight into the real world in terms of do you actually like it and are you any good at it, whilst still looking round for employment (if you wish). If you do make a go of it as self-employed, you don't necessarily need all the quals. Unvented-yes, part P-yes, gas (if you can) eventually yes.

Why don't you try the self employed route and have a go at some small jobs (stay in your depth though). That might give you an insight into the real world in terms of do you actually like it and are you any good at it, whilst still looking round for employment (if you wish). If you do make a go of it as self-employed, you don't necessarily need all the quals. Unvented-yes, part P-yes, gas (if you can) eventually yes.

Thanks for the quick reply
Oh i know i definately want to do it, i really enjoy being practical. To be honest ive never really thought about setting up my own business. Not until ive been doing it a few years so ive got most of my bases covered and can do most jobs.

But if you were in my position out of my 2 options which would you choose?

Hi dnash, you sound a bit hacked off with it all :( Try the self employed bit what have you got to lose? Register yourself with the friendly Inland revenue, there not as bad as people make out. Adverts in local newsagents, leaflet drops go the extra mile for your customer. And dont be ashamed if its beyond you explain to the customer, get down the merchants build up a rappore with the staff and other plumbers.

If you get to know a plumber ask can I join you for a day or so free of charge, pass stuff thats beyond you to him. Be extra keen in your adventure, sometimes it will be up, sometimes it will be down. But most importantly pick yourself up and never ever give up.

Good luck in the future ;)

ime afraid this type of post is typical of what has happened to this country
instead of investing in the people we allready have here that just want a chance we open the fllodgate to the rest of the world to come and work here leaving people like the op up poo creek
there is no easy answer as you need a mentor of some kind as self employed is a tough old route especially at the moment
even trying to get small jobs isnt easy its chicken and egg
cant get job because of lack of experience
cant get experience because of no job
this govt has gradually shafted the working class people of this country
rant over:mad:

The working class?

Also the upper class and the lower class

Then there are the classrooms with not enough university places.

Then there's anything to do with the Great British class of whatever nature ...

its just the economic downturn,it will pass,go for the jtl your more likely to find a company to take you on with that.

I have slogged my guts out getting work, walked miles and miles leaflet drops you name it I have done it, but I have with great pleasure done my first year and made a profit. I have also done my first turnover of over 3k for the month.

Now before anyone starts shouting the public or members of the forum this is turnover. I am lucky that this is from small jobs where margins are higher.

But members of the public that read this consider the following.

Public Liability Insurance
Vehicle Insurance (Vehicle Servicing & wear and tear)
Road Tax
Advertising
Materials (They may cost more than the think)
Tools
Fuel
Bad Debt ( It happens!)

when i was at college i work for 4 year on a 4 day a week
some mic said i am earning more than you.
but when i Finnish college my wage double,than i become self-employed and double again

chin up mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A little advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back