Search the forum,

Discuss 9 month old worcester bosch 29cdi, gas smell and no hot water downstairs, please help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark67

Hi guys,

Had a new Worcester 29cdi boiler fitted in January at the start of a refurb. Was replacing an old back boiler. Had Yorkshire water out and although the pressure wasn't the best they said it was enough to support a combi. Got a Worcester accredited installer on board and he said the same thing. He recommended the said boiler which was then installed.

After that plumbing wise, a bathroom was moved from down to up, and 2 new rads fitted.

All has been well for 8 months, odd smell now and then of something like egg in the bedroom where boiler fitted which I put down to new boiler smell, hot water in kitchen slow-flow but ok. Flow great to new bathroom upstairs. Heating ok.

Since the weather turned cold this month, heating has been on everyday and egg smell got unbearable so I rang accredited installer on Monday who said he would come over the wk end. Then hot tap in kitchen started running cold (boiler not firing up) but upstairs fine. Heating fine. Saturday night came and still no sign of him so I texted and said "hope your coming tomorrow, no hot water in kitchen". After weird texts like "thought I was just coming to sort out a smell" and "when did bathroom go upstairs, it was downstairs when I fitted boiler?" and long pauses between texts he said he would TRY and get the next day.

Fed up after 7 days, Sunday morning I rang Worcester and they organised another guy to come on Tuesday.

I Texted original installer to say he didn't need to panic because Worcester had agreed to send a more local engineer (original engineer being 30 miles away and obviously very busy). He didn't reply.

Gas leak was confirmed. Crossed threads on a valve. Gas meter capped for 2 days while valve replaced on Thursday, gas leak/egg smell gone, heating fine but still no hot water down in the kitchen.

Asked why and the guy said it was down to Yorkshire water, boiler pressure not reaching 1bar after attempted top up of boiler having being switched on from 2 days cold.

Rang Yorkshire water and they cant get for a week. They think its a private matter but are still willing to come.

So no hot water in the kitchen for another week which will be two weeks by the time Yorkshire water get here + if I'm truthful I don't think the pressure is to blame.

I texted the original credited installer to let him know the smell had been rectified (didn't mention gas leak) but I still didn't have hot water down. Again he didn't reply.

Can anyone please help me understand what's gone wrong and where I stand.

Cheers.

Re: 9 month old worcester bosch 29cdi, gas smell and no hot water downstairs, please

what valve was the leak on ? was it on the boiler?

Re: 9 month old worcester bosch 29cdi, gas smell and no hot water downstairs, please

so one chappie has put a boiler in after saying you dont really have enough water pressure for a combi, which yorkshire water advised you of as well. seems what they stated was true, and now you have problems because of this. So original installer was daft to state this then go ahead and put it in.

Then your installer didnt complete gas tightness testing during his install or he might have noticed you gas leak!

So you have a chap who did something he said you probably shouldnt and then left a gas leak. Whether you insisted on having a combi we dont know but you have some issues you probably need to discuss with your installer, what you hope to obtain as an outcome I am not sure as half the problems here are not listening to what folks tell you... then using someoone to do the work who may not have done a very good install, but the leaking gas is now cured so you cant really carry on with that issue now.

So basically, you havent got a leg to stand on letting someone install a combi when you knew that the advice was water pressure wasnt enough but boiler should work, I for one would have wanted some better advice, what does your boiler manual state as the minimum required water pressure and what pressure do you achieve in your home, the answer is there if you want to try going on further.

Last edited by a moderator:

omg how quick lol. yes shaun it was a valve inside the boiler.

omg how quick lol. yes shaun it was a valve inside the boiler.

right really the boiler shouldn't have left worcester leaking gas but as lame said they org installer should of tested the system like you have to do (law) and also he should of completed the rear of the manual if he hasnt phone gas safe up and complain

so one chappie has put a boiler in after saying you dont really have enough water pressure for a combi, which yorkshire water advised you of as well. seems what they stated was true, and now you have problems because of this. So original installer was daft to state this then go ahead and put it in.

Then your installer didnt complete gas tightness testing during his install or he might have noticed you gas leak!

So you have a chap who did something he said you probably shouldnt and then left a gas leak. Whether you insisted on having a combi we dont know but you have some issues you probably need to discuss with your installer, what you hope to obtain as an outcome I am not sure as half the problems here are not listening to what folks tell you... then using someoone to do the work who may not have done a very good install, but the leaking gas is now cured so you cant really carry on with that issue now.

So basically, you havent got a leg to stand on letting someone install a combi when you knew that the advice was water pressure wasnt enough but boiler should work, I for one would have wanted some better advice, what does your boiler manual state as the minimum required water pressure and what pressure do you achieve in your home, the answer is there if you want to try going on further.

I was advised by both the water company and the installer that the water pressure wasn't the best but adequate. maybe i didn't make that clear in my original post. i didn't have to insist on a combi...i was a told by both parties it would be ok, i listened well. i also thought i chose well, the guy was from my builder and had 100% feedback

the manual recommends between 1 and 2. I have just above 1 regardless of the second engineer saying he couldn't get it past 1 today. That is why i think the water company will say the pressure is ok

For a combi the mins are 1.5 and 12lps flow rate

I don't think the boiler left the factory leaking gas, as i said the valve which was replaced was inside the boiler but the second guy said the original guy had crossed the threads of it?

anyway that is now sorted.

and yes he has filled in the back of the manual.

what i don't understand is why after 8 months of things working ok, i now have the problem of no hot water down.

Did he check your pressure at different times of the day ,? Most installers do not bother but it can make a huge difference in certain places especially if you are borderline on your pressure?

Baslidog, I don't know if the installer went into such detail..

Fault with the tap?
If you are getting hot water everywhere else I doubt it's the boiler

1 bar is adequate, most combis will work off .5 . the max pressure will fluctuate during the day, if you have hot coming out upstairs then somethings happened / changed

I'm getting the feeling i was borderline and now everyone is passing the book. I trusted the water company and the installer who had such amazing feedback and over a 60 boilers fitted within 12 months and not one bad word despite his reluctance to help me out now.

scott d....im having the tap bypassed tomorrow...fingers crossed

dancing....what could have changed. nothing has altered as far as I'm aware?

Didn't appreciate lame plumbers comments at all. very negative. first time on here and was looking for help, not a slating. any positive suggestions more than welcome.

For a combi the mins are 1.5 and 12lps flow rate

No wonder people have trouble with installers, no way would I consider a combi at those rates.

No wonder people have trouble with installers, no way would I consider a combi at those rates.

It's the terms set out by the mis

If there is enough flow to fire the boiler from the bathroom then it isn't a boiler problem it will be tap or pipework to the tap in kitchen

the manual recommends between 1 and 2. I have just above 1 regardless of the second engineer saying he couldn't get it past 1 today. That is why i think the water company will say the pressure is ok

Where it is so borderline I would have tested the pressure and flow A few times and definitely during peak period when neighbours would be using water

Abusive post deleted.

Abusive post deleted.

now now was there any need to post any of that (last para)

and thats why the op has left the building

We will not tolerate that behaviour. The op has been shown the door.

off here?... and as far as charm school goes, been there and got the diploma, but I don't bother using what I learned on some folks :)

Ha! Double whammied!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 9 month old worcester bosch 29cdi, gas smell and no hot water downstairs, please help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock