Discuss 3 port valve problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The return on the cylinder should be the last tee before it goes back to boiler to avoid reverse circulation when just DHW is called for.

I hope the cylinder is vented and not unvented if its coming off that 3 port valve...post some pictures up if you want.

Sure. For what it is worth here are pictures. Hopefully it makes sense to someone....
WP_20160330_002.jpgWP_20160330_001.jpg

It will never work properly with a three port. There is always a way through the valve. It should be done with multiple two port valves.
One for cyl, one for rads and one for underfloor .

Oh dear! Overflow on prv discharge.
Back to main prob.
Cylinder stat will turn off three way and two way valve ( lazy buggers for not replacing three way) three way shuts hot water port, underfloor calls and water goes round heating circuit too.

Just replace the three port with one zone valve on the heating.
Oh and advise they get a G3 engineer to sort the cylinder.

Oh dear! Overflow on prv discharge.
Back to main prob.
Cylinder stat will turn off three way and two way valve ( lazy buggers for not replacing three way) three way shuts hot water port, underfloor calls and water goes round heating circuit too.

Just replace the three port with one zone valve on the heating.
Oh and advise they get a G3 engineer to sort the cylinder.

Thank you for the thoughts on the system engineering. There may well be a correlation with the UFH and rad heat. I will monitor this

What is G3 non-compliant about the system that you can see?

It will never work properly with a three port. There is always a way through the valve. It should be done with multiple two port valves.
One for cyl, one for rads and one for underfloor .

Many thanks. Does this suggest reverse circulation or simply poor control? Would the three port save effort installing at expense of fine control? The pumber initially thought everything would be controlled via TRV and did not supply thermostat. Presumably it would "work" under such circumstances but not well?

Last edited:
Not a great install. Would doubt installer was G3

It's really a different issue. Without going into too much depth the safety discharges on the cylinder are not piped correctly. It's actually illegal for a non-G3 engineer to work on one of these cylinders. And you always have a choice. The installers should be upfront with their qualifications.

Last edited:
Deal came as part of a package under a main contractor. I had assumed that he would be diligent in selecting sub contractor. The subbie may indeed be G3, it wasn't my concern. My main interest is in getting it working rather than detecting and punishing possible illegality. There would seem to be some pointers on how to proceed here...
Thanks

Ok that's your perogitive however when these things aren't plumbed in properly it sets alarm bells ringing. Not to sound too drama queen but unvented cylinders are literally a bomb which can take out your roof/house wall if they aren't installed correctly. I'm not necessarily saying to raise the illegality but rather concerns about yours and your families safety. Up to you though if course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 3 port valve problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock