Search the forum,

Discuss 2 zone under floor heating. Does the pump need to be fitted to manifold in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dharlen

This is my first post and need help with underfloor heating.

I have just had an extension built with the floor area for this room now circa 24m2. This room is going to run underfloor heating on its own zone. Rest of the house is rads.

System has been installed and just waiting for room stats to arrive so insulation can be completed.

After the plumber left I had a look at the manifold and noticed that the pump hasn't been fitted. He informed me that he did this as he didn't want to cause pressure issues on my existing combI. 28I junior. I sort of understand this and wasnt worried. But having had another look I have noticed he hasn't fitted the mixer value which I assume is a big issue.

Any advice on how to proceed? I don't want to damage the boiler but I also don't want to be over heating my floor and damaging screed and tiles.

Many thanks in advance

no needs a pump and blending valve

Thank you for the quick response.

Is there any chance that the additional pump will cause a problem with my boiler. Plumbers says he has had experience of this in the past and that my boiler is powerful enough with out additional pump being installed

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think he is planning on fitting later. Pipework and zone valves all fitted all the way back to the boiler. UFH is not running yet. I assume the zone valve is closed.

can you take a pic of where the pipes come to?

1449959304610-1484313303.jpg

As you will see its also leaking

Oh dear. Get him back, you need a pump and mixing valve. Your combi pump wont push the water through, which is just as well as if it did it would overheat your floor.

Also an automatic air vent wouldn't go amiss, whoever installed this doesn't understand underfloor heating design

you dont need to look at a pic unless you have done it your self either get the original installer back or get a new qualified one

He is a sub contractor to my main builder and is coming back tomorrow. I will talk to him then.

Good job I noticed something was missing.

Without a mixing valve and seperate pump. Your floor is going to get very hot! The only way this could work ( sort of) is if this was the only heating needed from the boiler. Then the boiler thermostat could be set at a lower temp.
But as you have existing radiators, you will need them to be higher temp.
It's a shame in our trade when the customer has to correct the plumber! In this case I do wonder if he is one.

Get him back and sort those leaks.

Have seen this a few times , people do not understand how underfloor heating works . Worst one we saw 2 manifolds 12 zones on one and 10 on the other all from a Baxi 100 combi . Took the customer 12 months to realise something wasn't right

Time for an update.
Plumber has fitted blending valve and manifold as instructed. Also two programmable room stats. One in the kitchen, where the underfloor heating is. The other in the lounge controlling the rest of the house radiators.
Both stats call heat and fire up the boiler. which is great. Was happy with the system until i checked this morning.
I have noticed that the pump is not live. Not wired to anything. I thought this may have been fine as boiler has capacity to run entire system. But im now concerned that when the blending valve closes, effectively cutting off the boiler, that there is nothing to make the water flow around the underfloor heating pipes. Is this assumption correct?

I doubt there's a cable from clock/stat to the manifold position to energise pump, but it should be wired
Does it work at all like it is?

Both zones work. But I have current set the blending valve to 30degree for initial set up. I plan to turn this up each day until i reach 40 degrees. So because of this low temp the valve is closed a lot.
The pump does nothing. No power or cables of any kind. Just being used as a expensive piece of pipe.

Pump needs to be running, without circulation in the ufh it won't heat up, at present it is just running on the boiler pump, which is not designed to run ufh systems. so once that has shut down it won't circulate. The pump is there to circulate the water around the ufh to the blending valve temp. So the boiler will not be running all the time but the ufh pump will be running to keep the water flowing through the ufh pipe work. flow through the unwired pump will be minimal, The person doing this install really doesn't know what they are doing. I hope they havent also been involved with the boiler as alarm bells would be ringing.

Last edited:
Thats what I thought.
What should the pump be wired too? what tells it to pump?

pump should be wired to the two port valve /boiler stat/under floor controls etc

and post a pic up of whats changed if you could

So we are now in March. After much talking the pump has been connected to a power supply. But there is no surprise that this has been done incorrectly. It has been wired to a switched spur and is either on or off. No wonder he said having the pump running would affect the boiler.

I have now told the builder that this 'Plumber' is no longer allowed in my house. Problem is builder doesnt have another he can call on. Anyone in SE13 fancy having a look a what he has done and offering some advise?20160314_195931.jpg

Sorry your having problems still, as Shaun said previously you need the controls sorted out for the ufh now. Maybe try the find a plumber section on this website.

7bdfbaf6b8edd27c89e86e9160f5c207.jpg

You need a wiring centre like in pic that will have everything yo need
or a 2 port valve and a decent spark to wire it in to heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 2 zone under floor heating. Does the pump need to be fitted to manifold in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock